Z factor and true capacity formula

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YuchenEasonJiang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm researching the calculation of the true gas capacity based on the Z factor and ideal volume (water capacity). I noticed that some calculate the true capacity as:
True_Capacity ≈ Ideal_Capacity ÷ Z_Factor(gas & pressure@temperature) - Dive Gear Express and Teach me to dive

But according to the formula PV=ZnrT, true capacity should equal to ideal capacity times Z factor, rather than divided by.
So, I have a question: How do you calculate the true capacity? Multiply divided by Z factor?

Z factors increase as pressure increases.
Ideal divided by Z to equal a smaller actual or true is correct. DGX's formula is correct.

The Vs in these are in PVideal=nrT or PVactual=ZnrT. Moving things around you get...

V/Z = nrtT/P. If n, r, T, and P are all held constant then Videal/Z = Vtrue

True Capacity = Ideal Capacity / Z is correct
Z is typically > 1 for gasses & pressures we care about. For example, Z(air, 3000 psi) = 1.032 from the DGX link.

It may help to know that Z is *defined* as Z=PV/(nRT), where P and n are both the actual or measured quantities. V is always actual, since it's a rigid vessel.

At 3000 psi, the molecules don't compress as well, so fewer are required (n is smaller than in the ideal case) to yield a given pressure when in a given volume container.

ETA: I failed to connect the dots previously: Ideal Capacity = PV. True capacity is defined as the volume that non-ideal gas would occupy at 1 atm pressure. Conveniently, air behaves as an ideal gas at 1 atm(^), therefore PV (after expanding to 1 atm) = 1 * Real Capacity = nRT. From the above definition of Z, we see that
Z = Ideal Capacity / Real Capacity or equivalently​
Real Capacity = Ideal Capacity / Z​

(^) for our purposes, find Z(air, 1 atm) in a table and observe the value 1.0.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom