YYZ - RTB - does luggage go straight through?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Hoag , we were intending to go to Covoview too so I’m glad to hear that they accommodate a midweek to midweek stay. We’ve been trying to go to Cocoview for years but the flight situation has always put us off. We’ll just have to plan for it better.
It was a fairly slow week when I was there. If they are busy, they may not be able to flex to a mid-week arrival/departure.

It was a fairly slow week when I was there. If they are busy, they may not be able to flex to a mid-week arrival/departure.

What month did you go?

We think we’ll end up going towards April, during one of Air Transat’s last direct flights there.

I should probably call Cocoview and ask them and maybe book early.

What month did you go?

We think we’ll end up going towards April, during one of Air Transat’s last direct flights there.

I should probably call Cocoview and ask them and maybe book early.
I went 28 March to 4 April 2019, so you might be in luck. The managers there (I forget their names) are great and will do what they can to make your trip a good one. (They say that they will meet you at the airport. Their rep actually reached into the X-Ray machine in the arrivals area (yes, your bags get X-Rayed on both arrival and departure) and pulled my bag out of it. Then he turned around and Identified himself as the CCV Rep.)

I went 28 March to 4 April 2019, so you might be in luck. The managers there (I forget their names) are great and will do what they can to make your trip a good one. (They say that they will meet you at the airport. Their rep actually reached into the X-Ray machine in the arrivals area (yes, your bags get X-Rayed on both arrival and departure) and pulled my bag out of it. Then he turned around and Identified himself as the CCV Rep.)

Ooh VIP service! I hope they will accommodate us! I just emailed them to ask so I have my fingers crossed.

Some more data points...and still no concensus except that it depends...

..no it doesn't.... you 100% do not have to pick up your luggage on the way there from YYZ unless you have an overnight transit, and you 100% do have to pick up your luggage on the way back as all luggage has to clear customs at first point into the USA...

flying direct is very advisable... :)

..no it doesn't.... you 100% do not have to pick up your luggage on the way there from YYZ unless you have an overnight transit, and you 100% do have to pick up your luggage on the way back as all luggage has to clear customs at first point into the USA...

flying direct is very advisable... :)

Hahaha...in my line of work, we NEVER say anything with 100% certainty, NEVER. But that’s because we need to cover our fannies for liability reasons, but I get your point.

Absolutely agree about flying direct.

to be honest, the concern with delta/american etc from YYZ should be more about them changing the flight schedules at the last minute after you have booked, notifying you that you will now be missing your connecting flight and have to take the flight the next day, therefore getting stuck in your layover spot and having to either cancel your whole trip, take a refund and rebook on another airline (likely for 40%+ more due to the proximity of your flight date), sleeping overnight in the airport or paying for hotel/cabs etc to do a 13-ish hour turnaround in miami/atlanta etc....

Ooh VIP service! I hope they will accommodate us! I just emailed them to ask so I have my fingers crossed.
I was the only one who came in on that flight who was headed to CCV. I assumed that their rep would meet me on the other side of customs. When I saw "some guy" reaching in and grabbing my bag, I thought he was trying to steal it and while I was impressed he was so brazen, I wasn't impressed that nobody tried to stop him. That was when I found out it was the CCV rep. :)

I was sent bright neon pink luggage tags that identified my luggage as going to CCV.

In my experience it is best to contact the specific airline(s) you will be flying to get the latest and correct information on baggage flow through and customs/immigration requirements. I generally make two phone calls to the airlines' reps to see if I get the same answer, and I make sure to document names, and date/time of the calls. I follow those calls up with another call a few days prior to the flight to insure no changes. What customs and immigrations procedures were used last month may not be the same this month. So far, the airline reps have always given me the correct information, and I have never had any surprises about baggage or immigration procedures.

to be honest, the concern with delta/american etc from YYZ should be more about them changing the flight schedules at the last minute after you have booked, notifying you that you will now be missing your connecting flight and have to take the flight the next day, therefore getting stuck in your layover spot and having to either cancel your whole trip, take a refund and rebook on another airline (likely for 40%+ more due to the proximity of your flight date), sleeping overnight in the airport or paying for hotel/cabs etc to do a 13-ish hour turnaround in miami/atlanta etc....

I also agree that this is the bigger concern. Now you've got me convinced to never fly to the Caribbean through the US. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom