Yukon tangent thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone wondered what was on the camera? It might be a bit morbid but it could provide clues. I'm sure SDPD has already gone thru the camera card.

Has anyone wondered what was on the camera? It might be a bit morbid but it could provide clues. I'm sure SDPD has already gone thru the camera card.

Yes, however, the LG's told us that they could not figure out how to get the camera to display the pics. The LG's put most of the divers gear on the Humboldt including the camera as they raced the affected diver back to the pier. None of the rest of us messed with anything. When we got to the LG pier the Police took everything.

It would be interesting to see what was on the camera and the times of when the pics were taken.

Diverex: or maybe he was struck by lightning

Hey, at least its more plausible than space aliens and some of the other nonsense that I have read in this thread. More than likely, the cause will end up a combination of medical/OOA.

I was there. I had a 28 minute TTD which included my ascent and a 3 minute stop. The affected diver left surface within 20 seconds of me. I went to 108FSW and then gradually meandered my way to 75FSW at roughly 21 minutes. At this point I started my ascent. I got on the Humboldt with just less than 300psi in my AL 80.

The guy that died was about my age but looked 40 pounds heavier than me. I have every expectation that he sucked air quicker than I did. I heard from one of the other divers on board that the affected diver was seen on the bottom, looking at something in the sand at around 8 minutes of dive time. This vector is where the LG found him later. The bottom was at 110 FSW that day.

We need to know his depth profile but if I had to bet money, today, I would say he was out of air by the time I was at my safety stop.

After you surfaced and got back on the boat how long was it before the boat went to the next site?

Dirtdiver

Thanks for the report, one of the very few things on this post that has relavence.

Some advice to you, and I really mean it, dont dive with an 80cf single only on this type of dive with the profile you stated. 300psi is not enough safety. Also failure at depth involves a dangerous emerg ascent. Pony bottle is about $100, get a second hand reg. Great life insurance.
another good idea is to invest in a 100 or 120cf tank. Love my 120cf, in the 1970's and 80s I would have died and gone to heaven for one of these. Look I dived with a 80cf "coke can" many times on these type of dives and even deeper but we didnt have the same options then.

Thanks again for your insight into this tradgedy, it was sorely needed. good luck in future!

Dirtdiver

Thanks for the report, one of the very few things on this post that has relavence.

Some advice to you, and I really mean it, dont dive with an 80cf single only on this type of dive with the profile you stated. 300psi is not enough safety. Also failure at depth involves a dangerous emerg ascent. Pony bottle is about $100, get a second hand reg. Great life insurance.
another good idea is to invest in a 100 or 120cf tank. Love my 120cf, in the 1970's and 80s I would have died and gone to heaven for one of these. Look I dived with a 80cf "coke can" many times on these type of dives and even deeper but we didnt have the same options then.

Thanks again for your insight into this tradgedy, it was sorely needed. good luck in future!

IIRC there is another thread discussing pony bottles vs. buddy skills. (Maybe this one http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/351346-redundant-air-sources-new-diver.html). I mention this so this tread can try to stay focused (like THAT would ever happen!) on this particular incident.

Dirtdiver

Thanks again for your insight into this tragedy, it was sorely needed. good luck in future!

I fully agree. I have dived the Yukon many times and I use a HP120 and sling a 40cf pony. I have never had a problem but it is nice having the backup if needed.

Forgive me SC but I believe that it is on topic to this accident. it seems very likely that this is an out of air issue, and 100fsw wreck dives really should have more air and preferably redundant air, even more so when going solo.

Like parachuting, nice to have a reserve chute.

Back
Top Bottom