YS90DX Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Detonate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
After many long hours of reading posts around this board, and particularly the Underwater Photography section, I've come up with a partial shopping list.

(1) Olympus C-5050 Camera
(1) Olympus PT-015 Underwater Housing
(1) YS90DX External Strobe

and that's it. But I keep reading bits and pieces about TTL, Fiber Optic Cable, Support Tray's, and Bendy arms, etc...

These are the final pieces I need to put my shopping list together....

Any suggestions, or threads you can point me too. I tried a few searches, but haven't really seen any definitive evidence suggestions as I have on the other pieces of equipment.....

The YS90DX is an excellent choice for the C-5050/PT015 setup. The fiber optic cable is simple, clean, and dependable. It connects to the housing via a velcro patch. The only thing you'll lose is the TTL capabilities of the strobe, but to me that's no loss. By using the manual strobe you'll be in control of your exposure, not what the strobe/camera thinks you should be using. The only place I've ever seen TTL work half as well as reported is with some macro shots. So don't let TTL be the only thing to keep you from chosing the YS90DX. The power settings on the YS90 are extemely easy to use and set. And with the instant feedback of digital, you can check your results. Honestly, I change strobe settings maybe 2-3 times in a dive, if that. I've found it depends on the depth and ambient light available.

One reason I swithced to digital was for a smaller rig than my old dual strobe film rig. For that reason I chose the Fisheye tray. I had already been using the loc-line bendy arms so being able to continue using them was also a plus. The arm is flexible underwater and stays where you put it. The only thing I have to really pay attention to is aiming the strobe when it's been moved. For that I keep an aiming light rubberbanded to my strobe... simple. If you don't mind the cost and the size, you might want to look into the UCLS arms and tray.

Hmmm, so the manual strobe doesn't sound so bad then.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn I read in one of the threads I was browsing, that the Fisheye tray blocked some of the functionality of the PT-015's buttons? :confused:

As far as arms go, I'm wanting to keep things fairly compact.

Do you happen to have a picture of your Camera setup, Dee?

So the way it sounds, is that the Optic cable comes with the Strobe, and it just attaches to the housing?

So then all I need to decide on is a Tray and Arm? At this point, I'm looking to keep the rig compact, and on the less expensive route. I'm not against paying a premium price for a premium product, but in my mind I can't imagine much variance in trays and arms. As a matter of fact, I don't know anything about the trays and arms, which is why I'm so desperate for advice.

The original Fish Eye tray covers some of the working button on the PT-15 housing. However, the FishEye folks fixed that by making the left side curve out instead of straight. They also came up with a second handle for the right side.

The fiber optic cable is an add-on accessory you'll need to purchase seperately. When I bought mine, it was included.

You can see my camera album HERE. it's not quite current as I've added a few conveniences. It shows the basics of my rig as well as the Digital Lens dock that I use so much. In one of the pics, it also shows how I attach my coiled lanyard behind the counter weight.

I have a bit of experience with other types of arms and trays. I've just never been pleased with the S&S type that only moved up and down. The 2-3 piece arms are a bit more manageable, and some say more sturdy, but in the water I found them to be stiff and hard to maneuver, if not imposible to get where I wanted it. The Light and Motion Infinity arms were my answer. You shouldn't use the arm as a handle unless you grab it next to the tray, which seems to be a downfall to some people. It also didn't hurt that the FishEye not only was exactly what I was hunting, it was also very reasonably priced.

If you're really straining your budget, don't forget that you can take some great shots without an external strobe and get the strobe later. Naaa....I didn't want to wait either! :D :wink:

Thanks Dee!

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but you've given me some more leads as to what to research.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom