YS-40A strobe and "backscatter"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwn

Reaction score
I've been reading all the threads and ran across an interesting comment about the YS-40 strobe by another member. I am sure that member knows far more than I do about the subject, and I do not doubt the point.

They made the point about the YS-40 strobe being fixed forward and the light has nowhere to go other than at the target, and scatter, and back to the lens. I see that Sea&Sea has an optical cable that allows the strobe to be held away from the camera and "eliminates backscatter".

Is this a worthwhile accessory? Is it a good technique? Will it elimate\reduce backscatter?

I just got a MX-10, strobe, and close up lens and caddy, on Ebay for $162. The camera is in GREAT shape and I will gladly get the optic cable if it is a worthwhile accessory.

My only real interest in photography is to take pictures of interesting things I see, nothing "professional", but I still would like the best possible picture. I have only used MX-10's that I rented, and I am happy enough with the result. I don't go looking for pictures, I just take pictures of interesting things I see.

I also plan to get a Canon A95 too.

TIA.

Save your money and enjoy your hobby....

Shoot in clear waters, closeup, try diffusing the light. Put the money towards the future Canon camera.

Addition: I understand that you do have an add on close up lens? So you are able to take macro shots within a very narrow range, say about 6 or 8 inches from the camera +/- an inch maybe?

Without the closeup lens, the MX-10's min. focus is 4 feet UW. So now there is a dead area from 1 ft. to 4ft. from the camera lens. This limits your shooting to only less than 1ft. AND more than 4ft., it's the shots in between the 1 to 4ft range that you will be most interested in, which the camera cannot do.

On the backscatter issue, lets say there are 5 pieces of particles for every 1 foot of water that you are shooting through. In the MX-10s case without the close up lens, 4ft X 5= 20 particles total.

I don't see how a strobe can "eliminate" (meaning remove) the particles. Will the light from the strobe push the particles out of the way? Back to the equation, I can reduce the amount of particles by reducing the distance or the removing the particles from the water. The only option is to reduce the distance...but wait the MX-10 cannot focus between where the close up lens ends and 4ft!

My point is that the strobe placement with help HIDE the particles or backscatter but not eliminate them. Even if the strobe is turned off the particles are still there, at 4ft, even at the correct point of focus the picture will still be a bit fuzzy. Because the light reflecting off the subject, on its way to the camera, is bouncing off the the particles, preventing the light from hitting the film nice and square for sharp focusing.

Getting closer to the subject should be the first line of action against backscatter. Like I said before, save your money and enjoy your hobby.

Dive Safe

To some extent it depends on what "kind" of pictures you like to take. If you want wide angle shots that are more than 3 or 4 ft from your subject the fiber adapter may be something you may want. I own a MX10 and have shot a lot of photos with it. My preference in shots is close up and macro so if it were me, I would buy the close up lens (which bring your focal length down to about 1 1/2 ft) and the macro lens first. With these lens, back scatter is not much of a problem. Try some shots with the camera first before making up your mind. And remember the primary rule of UW photography- get close, get closer and when you think you are too close, you are about right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom