Question YS-01 Solis inconsistent firing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d^2b

Worse diving through photography
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an older YS-01 and a newer YS-01 Solis attached by fiber-optic cables to an Olympus EM5-II. Recently the Solis started failing to fire about 1 time in 5. I thought it might be my batteries, but I get the same behavior with brand new eneloops (which look to be fully charged according to my analog multimeter). The same fibre optic cable works fine with the other strobe (and has worked fine with the Solis for a few hundred dives), so I don't think it's the cable, but I guess I don't really know. Any ideas what to try other then sending it for service? It doesn't seem to matter TTL / manual / power of the onboard flash.

EDIT: I did a longer set of (dry) test exposures and I noticed two things. One is the failure rate is higher than I thought. Our of 42 test shots, 26 times the strobe failed to fire. The other thing is that with the focus light on, I do see the focus light dimming even when the flash doesn't fire, which suggests (to this non-expert) that the strobe is getting the signal to fire, but something is failing after that (bad connection?). I think this (along with the fact that I switched in a previously unused 613L cable) eliminates the cable as the problem.

Does anyone have experience Sea&Sea service in Canada? I bought the strobe from Taiwan, but shipping it back there for service seems like a dubious idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom