YS-01 versus YS-01 Solis: What's the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblesmd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking into getting into underwater photography and was eyeing two YS-01 strobes for my RX100M5A (RX100 Va).

Aside from the new DS-TTL II circuitry, higher powered focusing light, and prism lens on the YS-01 Solis, I can't seem to find any other improvements over the older YS-01? Is it worth spending the extra cash on the newer YS-01 Solis?

From Backscatter:
  • Equipped with the same DS-TTL ll circuitry as superior Sea&sea’s high-end models
    • The DS-TTL ll circuitry helps emit the correct amount of light automatically based upon light intensity from the camera’s onboard flash. The strobe allows you to adjust light intensity stronger or weaker from programed standard exposure. With this function, even an inexperienced underwater photographer can instinctively control the desired amount of light.
  • Increased light intensity from the target light
    • Compared with the predecessor model, lighting intensity of the YS-01 Solis’ target light is 40% stronger increasing the visibility of the light axis has improved helps you understand position of the strobe position more accurately.
  • Superior light distribution and wide beam angle (this seems the same as the older YS-01)
    • Because of exclusively designed prism lens, the YS-01 Solis realizes a wide beam angle of 100°x 100°with ideal flat light distribution even when the accessory diffuser is not attached. With the diffuser, light will soften and beam angle will increase to 110°x 110°.

SEA&SEA| THE UNDERWATER IMAGING COMPANY..
SEA&SEA| THE UNDERWATER IMAGING COMPANY..

Sea & Sea has stopped producing the older model YS-01 so any stock of them available once gone is gone unless you buy them used. The entire internal workings have gotten an upgrade as you mentioned the circuitry and TTL II upgrade as well as a brighter target light. If you can get the older model new for a good price that would be the way to go as there is not any major benefit/upgrade to the Solis version.

I don't see any benefit in the Solis. I am on my way for a new strobe, but the solis does the same as the normal ys-01.
But the price raised and is then over the price of the Inon S-2000.

I don't use target lights and only use a strobe manual. So all that extra stuff is not needed.

I like the YS-02, so that is now the YS-01, but with a target light. But the solis is not faster, only more expensive. So I am also tinking what to buy.

The YS-01 was 349 euro, the solis is now 489 euro (a huge increase in price and I don't see you get any extra). And the S2000 is 399.
So the S2000 offers then a deeper depthrating, 100 vs 75m, faster recycle time, longer lasting on the same set of batteries. You get the YS-mount with the seasea strobe, that is what you have to buy with inon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom