You're not that good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kensuf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Excellent opinion piece.

He pussed out on a restriction and saw god? Only kidding.

Thanks for the share, Ken!

Seems that post hit a nerve, as it's got about a zillion reads over the last day. Which has mostly amused the crap out of me that I got to completely condemn social media... over social media!

It's only 300 feet deep, very silty and in a halocline. What could possibly go wrong?
Nothing, if you're as good as me. I read about 3 guys doing that on facebook just last week.

yes very good you could apply that to many adventure sports -it almost writes like a self revelation

Excellent piece! One of the real pieces of value I've taken away from technical training is precisely that "I'm not that good." On one training diving in particular, my instructor had us sharing air from the bottom (open water) while assisting him as a maskless diver upon ascent. He then added a bit of task loading by indicating that I had lost my stage gas. So now my buddy and I had to switch off my back gas and share his stage bottle, while assisting a maskless diver to the surface. I had rehearsed these things in my head 1,000 times. When it came time to do it, I was successful. However, it was a lot uglier and took a lot longer than the way it went in my head. I was actually taken aback by the difficulty of managing the multi-task, despite having rehearsed it in my head and practiced the skills individually. And this sort of thing is a baby skill relative to dealing with failures in a place like EN.

At this point, I now feel more comfortable managing the kind of multi-task I described. Perhaps I can see where an accomplishment like this could embolden a diver to think that their skills are much better than they are, prompting them to get in over their head (literally). For me, the experience stands as a stark reminder to take baby steps and make an effort to honestly evaluate my skill level. @DevonDiver has spoken a lot about this very thing.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom