Your thoughts wanted on getting a ten year old certified.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just certified my 11yr old and she did great. But, I will also add that her mother has stated she will not dive with anyone other than her daddy.

IMG_1034.jpg

Talk to Tom Mount (IANTD founder and head guru there) about the possible dangers of training children to dive at a young age.

As an instructor and a parent I have a completely irrational and unjustified fear that diving at that young age will somehow have have a negative effect on development. I will not take a student younger than 15. Even at that young age I still have concerns and stress limiting depth.
My issue is that no medical experiments have been conducted on children and never will be.
Just isn't worth it to me.
I would have loved to be certified at 10 and would have been awesome at it! (Says 10 year old me) I snorkeled instead and snorkeled a lot. Scuba just wasn't available to me then, it wasn't about age.
As far as maturity goes, children simply can not deal with emergencies the way adults can. When I think about what the average teen considers a crisis and how they deal with it I have strong doubts they could handle a real emergency.

Wow. Read the entire thread for content.

My kid got certed at the youngest possible age. No slouch of an instructor, either. Tim O'Leary. Kid passed OW with flying colors. Had to wait a week before he became of age. Papers sent in and card returned. Vacation to SPI most worthwhile.

This remains his favorite card. Mine too. We are both still alive and 'diligent'. (read 'safe')

Don't rush it. Nothing at all to be had.

I'm pretty sure that I understand what this thread is all about. "I was certed before you were." Braggadocio, nothing more.

Neither the kid nor I care the least bit about that.

"Ray's Law": You are only as good as your next dive.

I'm busy "training" with my 10 y.o at the moment. Time, it's all I can say, take your time. He is in the pool with me and that is where he'll stay untill I and the instructor is 100% certain he can move to the next level which will be shore entry dives and no more than 5 - 8m which is below the 12m mark PADI has as limit for the age. He is also hooked to an elastic cord bound to me so he can not stray, keeping us at most 1.5m (4ft) appart.
We are fortunate to be at a place that allow us rather easy shore access without waves and strong current, thus my confidence in the location.

My kids weren't certified before they had turned 16, although they've been swimming and snorkling since primary school age.

I live and dive in a region where a DM/guide in the water with you is about as common as hen's teeth, so diving with a kid is basically solo diving with extra responsibilities. And I'm not comfortable with solo diving even without that extra responsibility. At 16, they could be reasonably trusted to be a competent buddy, both physically and mentally.

Thinking kids will have developmental issues from scuba diving may be one of the silliest things I’ve ever heard of.

I’m in largo now my 12 year old daughter went out yesterday and is already doing horizontal safety stops not holding on to mooring line.

Thinking kids will have developmental issues from scuba diving may be one of the silliest things I’ve ever heard of.

I’m in largo now my 12 year old daughter went out yesterday and is already doing horizontal safety stops not holding on to mooring line.
yeah ... i gotta agree with you here. were talking maybe one or two dive vacations a year together at least until she's much older.
My big concerns....1. rocketing to the surface from 40'
2. Not having fun and getting turned off to it.

My 11 year old LOVES to dive. Does not like beach dives though, because of having to walk with the gear. So you have a point, hammet. I have a son, and he watched an 11 year old girl carry all her gear up the beach and back to the truck (while he whined and cried at the waterline), so I am not ashamed to say, I used the gender card on him! All my children are comfortable in the water though, so I have no concerns (other than being a worried Dad) about them diving. I was also a skydiver. Can't say I want my kids to pick up THAT hobby!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom