Your thoughts on PLBs

Would you get a PLB if you could afford one

• YES

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • NO

Votes: 12 31.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of my friends spent the night hanging onto lobster trap buoys after their boat got away from them.
**** happens.

hey, at least they knew somebody was bound to come check on the traps

H2Andy:
A couple of my friends spent the night hanging onto lobster trap buoys after their boat got away from them.
**** happens.

hey, at least they knew somebody was bound to come check on the traps

You're definately a "glass is half full" kind of guy.

In boston the lobstermen would assume they caught you raiding their traps and use you for bait.

TwoTanks:
There are also cases of small countries taking no action when they are told of an EPIRB activation off of their shores. Not divers, but missing sail boats.

TT :wink:

Now this I am very interested in. Do you have any facts or sites you could direct me too. I have done a web search to see what rescue services are available in the more remote parts of the world and came up blank.

You mentioned Palau from what I found in my search is, the nearest US coast guard station would be Guam 400 miles away and only one ship.

Latin? Ok try this one:

NIL IGETIMA CARBORUNDUM

I'm not opposed to PLB I don't I'll be buying one soon mind you. But in not having one was this not the plot for the movie OPEN WATER?

GDI:
Latin? Ok try this one:

NIL IGETIMA CARBORUNDUM

I'm not opposed to PLB I don't I'll be buying one soon mind you. But in not having one was this not the plot for the movie OPEN WATER?

My carburettor is blocked :D

Open water? I don't know about that I think it was *based* on a true story in AUS is so then I would imagine that having one could have saved there lives.

cdiver2:
My carburettor is blocked :D

Open water? I don't know about that I think it was *based* on a true story in AUS is so then I would imagine that having one could have saved there lives.

Nah it has more to do with iligetimate children getting to you

I wouldn't use one. One more piece of useless gear to carry around. Having been in the navy and having to respond to all the false alarms from all the inadvertent activation of PLB both military and civilian. If they were more readily available then they are now. They would be as effective as car alarms. You know how many of us hear a car alram and think, "oh my god someones car is getting stolen." No instead we think about what a knucklehead the dope is who set it off while fumbling for their car keys while juggling their morning cup of star-junk and a bagel.
If PLB were to be common place their inadvertent activations would become an annoyance that would mask or gloss over real emergencies.

RIDIVER501:
I wouldn't use one. One more piece of useless gear to carry around. Having been in the navy and having to respond to all the false alarms from all the inadvertent activation of PLB both military and civilian. If they were more readily available then they are now. They would be as effective as car alarms. You know how many of us hear a car alram and think, "oh my god someones car is getting stolen." No instead we think about what a knucklehead the dope is who set it off while fumbling for their car keys while juggling their morning cup of star-junk and a bagel.
If PLB were to be common place their inadvertent activations would become an annoyance that would mask or gloss over real emergencies.

you saying it doesn't work or it will not work if they become prevalent

cdiver2:
If you have iligetimate children then your carburettor should be blocked :wink:

I think I'll classify that as "varus hillariousum" :eyebrow:

How about just getting one of those laser pointers that they are complaining about in the news, you could just blind someone on board a boat ar a plane a mile away or so and then they'd find you so you could be arrested :crafty:

Dive Safe/wlaser!
Caymanaic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom