Your New Year's Day Dive - Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be diving the Blue Hole in Dahab, Egypt.

Air and water temp is about 22C (70F) but it's been overcast the past couple of days

Last year I dived a cold muddy quarry in the north of England, with temps near freezing

Not at Midnight. Instead, a bunch of us are gathering at Mansfield Dam on Lake Travis for our annual New Years day dive. We're waiting until 11:00 AM for the late sleepers. Vis will be about 5', water temp about 61 and air temp about 35. It won't be too bad until we get OUT of the water and climb the hill back to the staging area.

Dutch Springs, PA.

What a great way to spend the afternoon

Hood Canal ... still lots of runoff in the southern end after last month's floods, so the water temp varied from 46 degrees below 30 feet to about 42 degrees on the surface. And the silt from the local rivers had vis between 2 and 10 feet. And there was a couple inches of packed snow and ice in the parking lot from last Thursday's storm. Still some very worthwhile diving.

Some pics ...

CIMG3949.jpg

CIMG3965.jpg

CIMG3999.jpg

CIMG4008.jpg

CIMG4015.jpg

On the last day of 2007, my wife and I took 5 people diving. We did two dives, the first at a deep reef named Gail’s Grotto, the second on an artificial reef named ‘Badger’ which is located at a wreck site named ‘Papa Doc’.

Gail’s Grotto ranges in depth from 55 feet at the crest of the reef, to 72 feet to the sand at the bottom of the canyons formed by the coral.

‘Badger’ sits at 45 feet on hardbottom, with bits and pieces of an old wreck scattered around the area. There are also coral heads all around creating a sculpture garden.

On the first day of 2008, we took five people diving, not all the same ones, to Pygmy Caves, another deep reef. At this site, the canyons of coral have grown up so much that they have grown together at the top to form arches, tunnels and rooms under the coral. Some sharks cruised over the top, along with groupers, snappers and huge numbers of Creole wrasses. Underneath the profile, I shared a room with a tiger grouper and one of the larger Cubera Snappers I have ever seen.

The second dive was to Shark Junction, where we were surrounded by Caribbean Reef Sharks giving the photographers in the group lots of opportunity for close-up pictures. There were also a couple of lion fish at the site, one of them hunting a school of yellow goat fish.

The visibility was about 100 feet. Water temperature is 77. Air temperature was about 80, skies partly cloudy and the sea was glassy calm with just a hint of roll. The holiday boaters were making much bigger waves than anything nature was providing.

All in all, a great way to bring in the new year!

Gilboa Quarry near Findlay Ohio is the plan as long as the roads are passable. Supposed to have 4-6 inches of snow and 40mph wind gusts. Not for the faint of heart that's for sure LOL!
Ber :lilbunny:

Hey, you were posting on SB while texting me grocery items to pick up for your guy's party??? Hmm...

It was cold & windy, but we had no where near that amount of snow. The vis was fantastic, over 75 feet.

Airport Reef, Montigo Bay, Jamaica

After an 18 year hiatus from diving, got recertified, and back in the water.

New Years Day, Busch wreck and Looe Key. No wet suit needed.

Hey, you just have to dive where you can get to. For us, Obyan Beach, Saipan......

82deg. (it IS winter after all), 100+ft. viz!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom