Your LDS : What should they stock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much more + over 3500? :confused:

Anywhere between 3501 and 3599 would be fine with me; 3460 is just irritating, 3300 is mildly infuriating. If I wasn't paying almost $20 to fill a set of double 130s with air, I'd probably be more forgiving.

my beef with my local shop isnt what they stock.

i wish the dive shops around here would be generally more knowledgeable. most none of the local shops where i live know what a + rating is on a low pressure tank and if they do know they tell that they only last till end of first hydro and cant be renewed i have yet to find some one that doesnt tell me other wise. Also only 2 shop out of like ~12 that ive gone to have a tank cool down bucket for tanks. they just fill them and say the cool down should not be a problem, ive lost a good 800 psi one time on my LP 98 doubles. They also have bad fill policies on partially filed tanks. i dont really think i shoud pay full price for a 2 tank fill when i have 1800 PSI in my double 63's. or the same price for filling a 130cuft tank as a 30 cuft. :shakehead:

I WANT MORE STUFF!!! Hog style rigs, din regs, doubles stuff etc. at an affordable price.

I *have* noticed that more than 1 shop in the area do not use a water tub for cooling down tanks.... not sure why..unless it's a matter of space and cleanup/drainage.

Dive Gear Express out of Pompano Beach does hog rigs, etc. They will ship or can do pickup. still gotta pay sales tax.. but if you do it right it's only broward rates, not Dade :)

I want them to stock every piece of dive gear under the sun, and then I will choose what to buy.

Unfortunately, the way it works today is that I seem to want every piece of dive gear under the sun, and my LDS and Bank choose what I can buy :)

Anywhere between 3501 and 3599 would be fine with me; 3460 is just irritating, 3300 is mildly infuriating. If I wasn't paying almost $20 to fill a set of double 130s with air, I'd probably be more forgiving.

3,300 doesn't sound like the end of the world. I stopped patronizing one of the LDS' because I was consistently getting 2,800 PSI in my HP tanks. I complained twice, then took my business elsewhere.

Kristopher

3,300 doesn't sound like the end of the world. I stopped patronizing one of the LDS' because I was consistently getting 2,800 PSI in my HP tanks. I complained twice, then took my business elsewhere.

Kristopher

Wow. That's pretty much what I fill an LP72 to.

How picky I am about fill pressure depends on what I'm doing with the tanks, what I told the shop in advance about the tanks and their intended use, and how much I'm paying for the fill. If I'm paying $20 for air in some HP doubles, I damn well want my 3442psi. If I'm paying $5 for the same fill, I don't much care where it comes in so long as its above 3000.

knfmn:
It is not at all unreasonable to expect a full fill! If you bring a set of doubles to our shop, and want to wait for them, you will probably get a hot / high fill (e.g. 3900 psi) which should cool down to a proper fill. Now, it could be that the shops who are 'short filling' don't have a booster, and when the banks get a bit low, they only have what is in the banks. Boo on them.
iluvtheocean:
I *have* noticed that more than 1 shop in the area do not use a water tub for cooling down tanks.... not sure why..unless it's a matter of space and cleanup/drainage.
It is a matter of practicality - it adds one more step to the process, IF you are in high throughput mode.. Better to fill to 3300 on a 3000, and let it cool to 3100 if the customer is waiting.

Having said that, we do have a water tank next to the fill station, and will cool tanks as needed, and as workload and time permits. Honestly, I usually prefer not to spend the time. Most of the time, where the customer is not waiting, we will simply fill to a bit above working pressure, then top the cylinder off when the customer comes in to pick it up, so that they walk out with the working pressure plus . . ..
Peter_C:
Our local LDS's doesn't sell Nitrox, and are against Hogarthian type gear.
I am confused - I guess, by 'LDS', you must mean something other than a 'local DIVE shop'. A shop that behaves that way is obviously NOT a DIVE shop. Maybe, it is just a pawn shop that happens to have (stolen) dive gear for sale.

Kristopher

yup, there is a reason that I drive an hour for fills when that shop is 5 minutes walking from my house...

Cold beer

One of the boat/shop that I frequent has a beer fridge in the back room and most days end with a drink (or three) on the dock while rinsing gear watching the sun set over the city.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom