Your LDS : What should they stock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, but which make / model of bp+wing did you go with?

Buying mainly used on eBay (with some new, too), I have two BP/W setups.

My cold water rig is a DSS SS plate, with DSS weight plates and a DSS harness, mated to an Oxycheq 40# Extreme singles wing.

My tropical rig is a FredT SS plate and DSS harness, mated to an Oxycheq 18# digital camo singles wing.

Why go with camo? For the paradoxical reason that I wanted it to stand out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Our shop has pretty much always had what I want--though I don't buy a whole lot of stuff being a tightwad. If they don't stock it they can usually get it in. Sometimes this involves shipping from the States into Canada, which can be ridiculously costly with the brokerage fees crap, but that's not the LDS' fault.

I wish they carried DSS, HOG/EDGE, Zeagle models in store to look at. More hose choices. They are great about ordering for me but this speaks to anothers post. Yes I wish their prices were better. I don't mind to pay a bit more than online, but a $100 markup above online on fins? I also wish they would sell more used gear. They have some old rental stuff that looks beat to crap and is ridiculously priced. I asked them once if they considered a trade in or consignment option and they laughed in my face.

More used gear at decent prices... but since that would probably cannibalize their new gear sales, I won't hold my breath.

my beef with my local shop isnt what they stock.

i wish the dive shops around here would be generally more knowledgeable. most none of the local shops where i live know what a + rating is on a low pressure tank and if they do know they tell that they only last till end of first hydro and cant be renewed i have yet to find some one that doesnt tell me other wise. Also only 2 shop out of like ~12 that ive gone to have a tank cool down bucket for tanks. they just fill them and say the cool down should not be a problem, ive lost a good 800 psi one time on my LP 98 doubles. They also have bad fill policies on partially filed tanks. i dont really think i shoud pay full price for a 2 tank fill when i have 1800 PSI in my double 63's. or the same price for filling a 130cuft tank as a 30 cuft. :shakehead:

I WANT MORE STUFF!!! Hog style rigs, din regs, doubles stuff etc. at an affordable price.

I lived in Halifax, and now live in Victoria.

Maybe it is because I am still a fairly new diver, but I have yet to have an issue with what I need.

They are very knowledgeable.

Maybe if I ever get my DM, I may have a different view.

Guess I'm just lucky ... my dive shop carries most things I'd want. They've got three different lines of BP/W ... Halcyon, Dive Rite and HOG. They bank EAN32, which is what me and most of my buddies prefer to dive. If I want something and they don't carry it, they'll make an effort to get it for me. Or if I buy something they don't carry on the internet, they'll ask me to bring it in so they can check it out. And if it turns out to be something they think their customers would want, they'll manage to get it in stock.

Love those guys ... they're there to support me. That's why I keep going back ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Its funny (not really)... I'm likely the only guy (customer) diving a BP/W, Long Hose/Bungied octo, Wrist mounted PDC, B&G SPG, and wrist compass out of the shop I use. After being in a few classes, and doing a couple dives as a group, I'm getting lots of questions about configuring gear as well as what it accomplishes. Seeing the investment the others have made in gear, it will likely be a long time until any pressure is put on the shop to provide this stuff (and the shop keeps on doing it their way). They don't give me any flack about online buying. I do support them when/where I can.

As Bob said, they are there to support me..... Truth be told, there isn't a bunch more to do regarding gear purchases (maybe doubles), so they missed the boat....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom