Your Ideal Back Inflated Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the great input... The idea's you all have suggested are not hard to do and still keep the price fair...

Things to keep in mind...
When making the outer material thicker it would show some small creases in the corners but nothing that would hurt the functionally of the wing...

Changing the location of the dump valves are not a big deal either.. What happens is when you design the wing and they cut the die for the locations of all the components on them it becomes costly to keep changing locations...

The dump valve on the inflater hose is a little tuffer to work with... Since many divers use that dump when first entering the water to go below... but I will look into it for the folks that want something different...

Do you folks like the donut type inflation or the horseshoe type??

I would start with a 55lb lift wing and than add a smaller one.. I can tell you that the 55lb wing was the hottest seller by far and that is the only wing I use for both single and doubles... just works great

Do you think a wing like this would sell good around $140 to $165.00.... Once I nail a design I'm gonna get a good hard price and will share it with everyone...

Any "D" rings or other accessories that you feel the need for??

I only chack my emails every couple of days so please understand if I don't answer or respond to a question...

Again thanks for the input and please don't stop.. I have ideas about the design but I would love to build a great wing with input from you... The drivers that would be using the product..

Randy

The price sounds good. I'd prefer the donut over the horseshoe for the singles. I'm not sure if it's feasible for a doubles wing. No D-rings on the wing. 55lbs for a doubles wing seems to work well for me. Less dynamic instability than the larger wings, yet plenty of lift. The thicker material still makes sense to me as the extra weight would be neglible, or a stronger thinner material as long as the cost didn't drive up. I'm still not 100% happy with my Halcyon Explorer 55, but it is close. The OMS singles wing is also pretty close. I just don't like the dump valve facing down. That doesn't make any sense to me on any of these wings. The argument of reach doesn't fly with me. I like a company that gets input.

For a single tank wing:
1. Low profile - no flopping around
2. No pull dump on inflator hose
3. Rear dump on top of wing when horizontal, and near the edge of the wing
4. Tough outer shell, 1000 ballistic nylon, with drain holes for water, zipper for bladder removal
5. Donut shape
6. 30# lift
7. Multiple grommets/mounting holes for trim adjustment

That's just from a feature perspective. But the ultimate decision will be based on its performance in the water. Does air easily get trapped? Do I have to work at venting? Does the wing flop around? Can it float me on the surface in rough seas?

With those features and performance requirements, for $150 I'd buy it today.

the Halcyon explorer wing is almost perfect keep it the same and just put the dump valve on the bottom so my argon bottle is not in the way. then cut off the Halcyon logo add (owners name) using reflectable patches sewn into the wing so you don't have to use that ugly red or orange stuff. deepoutdoors came out with an orange wing that was horrible and of course 150. sounds great

Thanks folks for all our input!!! Having helped in designing the non-bungee wings at OMS plus Joel and I work on the Abyss wing designs it always helps getting what divers like and don't like....

I will be working on a new wing and will keep you guys informed... I can tell you that it will be a 55lb wing first and if I can get it to cost out to around $150.00 which I'm almost 100% for sure I will let you folks know...

I will be checking on the cost of the die for the outer shell and the internal bladder.. Once I have these prices I will move forward with the rest... The process I can tell takes about 60 to 90 days and since it is going to be springtime please understand it could be a little longer...

When its ready I will ask the scuba board mods how they would want me to post it so I don't get in trouble with them... Since I'm shooting at a low cost to divers I really don't want to pay to advertise the item only to have to raise the price... Hope they will cut me and you a break...

I will also pass along a special price once they are done for final tests and comments.. I will posts the spec's of the newest wings and asked for comments... I will release a couple for pre-testing to both this board and the deco stop members also...Free ...

Just hold tight and please let me see what I can design and cost out... Again thanks for the comments and please don't stop.. Until its design you could have your idea built into this wing!!!!!

I will keep you updated..

Randy

Thanks Randy. Sounds like a great project. Glad to see you getting input from everyone.

I like my OMS non-bungee'd wing, and I think my Halcyon Explorer is a little overhyped. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Why doesn't any manufacturer incorporate solas or glint tape like reflection in their wings--or better yet on the top of the hood--is it too shiny (i.e. fear of attracting a nice large fish to bite?). I guess on the wing would not be visible from a helo as it would be submurged at the surface. It really stands out when it is needed.

I tried a few and I'd agree with most of posts here, ease of buoyancy control and dumping air is high on my list, reflective tape sounds like a good idea, beacon? just thinking out loud, air powered whistle integral, pony bottle pocket for alt air and finding a way to keep the dang thing in place when the tanks going dry. Ok enough said before somebody makes a comedy about the rube goldberg contraptions

I just had a thought...when the diver is in trim position, if the pull dump valves were located on the top of the wing instead of the bottom beside your hip, Unless your wing was completly full of air it would be very hard to actually locate and dump as the valve would be forced against the tank and you would have to reach over the wing to dump.
Having it on the bottom puts the valve in an easy to reach position. Am I making any sense here ??
:classic:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom