Your Ideal Back Inflated Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abyssdiver

Registered
Reaction score
If you could build a back inflation bc (aka: wing) what would it have? I always hear divers say I could make a better mouse trap and how come these dive companies don't design a wing that could do x... The reason for the question is with so many dive companies making different designs and us divers using them and each of us just screaming that brand x makes the best bc... Thought this would be interesting to do...

Since most of the country is getting ready to watch the football playoffs and some watching the snow to fall big time... I got a little bored

I always liked the 55lb wing size to dive with an guess I would stick to that lift rating... A bright color like red or orange so the coast guard could find me on the surface and it would have something to control the air from rolling from one side to another.. 1000 weight outer material with backing to reduce chances of a punture, since I like going into wrecks and they say there are sharp objects in them.. and all this at a reasonable price.. say under $200.. naw under $150... maybe even have my name on the wing... just in case I forget my name..

That's my little dream
Randy

Exactly like the Halcyon explorer only $100 cheaper :eyebrow:

55 lbs for a single tank, or doubles?

Abyssdiver:
If you could build a back inflation bc (aka: wing) what would it have? I always hear divers say I could make a better mouse trap and how come these dive companies don't design a wing that could do x... The reason for the question is with so many dive companies making different designs and us divers using them and each of us just screaming that brand x makes the best bc... Thought this would be interesting to do...

Since most of the country is getting ready to watch the football playoffs and some watching the snow to fall big time... I got a little bored

I always liked the 55lb wing size to dive with an guess I would stick to that lift rating... A bright color like red or orange so the coast guard could find me on the surface and it would have something to control the air from rolling from one side to another.. 1000 weight outer material with backing to reduce chances of a punture, since I like going into wrecks and they say there are sharp objects in them.. and all this at a reasonable price.. say under $200.. naw under $150... maybe even have my name on the wing... just in case I forget my name..

That's my little dream
Randy

salty:
Exactly like the Halcyon explorer only $100 cheaper :eyebrow:

So what does the "H" explorer costs retail? What make that wing good for you? compared to others on the market... Oh by the way it doesn't costs alot to build a nice wing with all the goodies you must be smart on how you get the wing to the marketplace.. And by that I mean you cannot let many people / companies step on the price... see my example below

manufacturer.... the company that really makes the product
dive company... the company that that designs and pays to have the product built
dive shop......... the shop that purchases the product and does the final mark-up

Most people don't know the mark-ups on dive products... I do since I ran OMS for several years before working with Abyss... You can make a better mouse trap and deliver it at a good price... You just need to be smart...

Btw I see many people have checked out this thread but didn't post anything? How can we get a better product if you the divers don't say what you like or don't like... How do we know what bell or whistles to add or subtract if nobody speaks up... Come on

Randy

I want it to be like the the Seaquest Black Diamond wing.........two dump valves (that actually works, and simple in the design) on top, and no wrinkling of the bladder to trap air. I don't understand why the dumpvalves on the wings are now in the bottom. I don't care if the wing folds upwards around the tank. When I pull that dump valve, I want the air out now, don't want to giggle my A to get it out.

My wishlist:

1. Strong outer shell for puncture protection
  2. Inflator/dump that is connected at top center
  3. Rear dump valve located at butt end on top of the wing when horizontal (air goes up, remember?)
  4. 30lbs lift for single, 50lbs for doubles
  5. Zipper access for bladder removal
  6. $200 price tag max
  7. Sorry, but have to go black on the color
  8. Maybe, radar/light reflective patches/logo on upper corners

agreed with thick outer, no wrinkles around top, inflator in center is good idea. I have a DR and dont like the fact that its "floppy" material that is sandwiched between plate and tank, letting the wing flop all over. I have a red weight belt, and noticed when my buddy borrowed a pink (I guess hes secure in his manhood) weight belt it was easier to id him over everyone else we were diving with. So i like the idea of optional colors or reflecto-O-tape.

No stupid pull dump valves on the inflator hoses. I hate having to buy the 90 degree elbow to replace something that I never use and is a potential failure point.

Reflective markings would be a nice touch as well but black is my color of choice.

Padipro:
No stupid pull dump valves on the inflator hoses. I hate having to buy the 90 degree elbow to replace something that I never use and is a potential failure point.

Reflective markings would be a nice touch as well but black is my color of choice.

True, the ones they sell don't even work right..........how do this crap get into the market???

>> how do this crap get into the market???

This is a market where you can still sell hair restoration products.

Anyway, I think the most important things about wings are ability to dump easily and the way the bouyancy is balanced. (I mean apart from the obvious things, like the ability to hold air.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom