Your ice diving configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Westwinds

Registered
Reaction score
Ice Diving Technique

I am in the process of putting together a set of ice diving equipment (more specifically harnesses and safety lines) for the upcoming winter diving season. During my research, I discovered that there are many configurations for tethering a dive pair to the surface. All of which seem safe and appropriate for different circumstances. I would like to know if anyone has had experience using any of the configurations listed below and if you can outline your successes or challenges (advantages or disadvantages) with that system.

The first technique has each diver tethered to the surface with a different surface support person monitoring each line independently.

The second method has a single support person monitoring one line that splits into a “Y” near the divers. The maximum separation between the divers is about 20 feet.

The last method also has a single support person monitoring one line that was attached to one diver then continues (in series, if you will) to a second diver with a maximum distance of about 20 feet between them.

Please feel free to add to my list of methods as I sure that are many more. Please be sure to add your comments about success and challenges.

I am also interested to know what type of harness you use. Did you purchase it, if so what and where or did you make it. Photos would be great.

For the record: I use one of these systems listed when I train others, however, I would prefer to leave my opinions out of the conversation for now.

Westwinds

Each diver gets his own line and own tender. Thats the only way I've ever seen it done when I was ice diving in lake george NY. and there was alot of different clubs and divers there, but everybody was using independant lines and tenders.

and for a harness they can be made pretty easy if you know someone who has an industrial stiching machine or just go to a shoe repair place.
If you want to just buy one, the harness from Team Life Guard Systems is hard to beat. www.teamlgs.com

Yet another advantage of the standard BP&Wing harness...

You don't need yet another harness. With the D rings encircling the webbing, it's actually safer than most harnesses that I've seen where the D ring is under a strip of material that sewn onto the front of the webbing (more complexity, more cost and less strength -- the worst of all possible worlds).

We've never dove single lines out here in Colorado, it's always one line for two divers, with either a "Y" at the end or two D rings on one line, one at the end and the other about 5-10' inboard. Less chance of entanglement.

Roak

We do it like roakey. One line with a Y. We have two tenders on the line. One handles communication and keeps the line tight and the other takes care of house keeping with the extra.

When I teach I have a detatchable third leg that I clip in so I can be on the same line with two students.

The rest of my equipment is exactly the same as for any other dive bp/harness and wing. I prefer to always dive my doubles but if I have to go a long way accross the ice I'll sometimes use a single with an H valve.

Besides the traditional chainsaws and augers, what methods have you used or have seen to cut a hole for ice diving? Over the years I have grown to dislike the gas and oil machines to cut a hole because of the environmental impact. I also dislike diving through oil slicks.

Additionally, what materials or products could I use to clean up the residue of the chainsaw or auger? Do you any ideas?

Westwinds

We used to use an axe, it got to be a bit of a chore when the ice got over 3 feet thick though. After that we managed to secure an old ice saw, back from the days of "ice boxes" needing to have large cubes sawed out of the rivers & lakes.
Guys that saw holes for sturgeon spearing (with chainsaws) always use vegetable oil, not petroleum based lubes. Longer bars are used & the rake teeth are ground off.

I was doing some research and came across an ice saw that looks like it would make a great cut in the ice without a chainsaw or back breaking effort. Has anyone tried this?

Ice Saw Image

:doctor:
Well there are advantages to either system. The"Y" connection is good when you are limited on surface support, too limited and you need to call the dive. Other advantages for the "Y" are when you are teaching or diving in groups of three. You want to limit the number of lines running through the opening. Each number of lines going through the hole must have a surface tender. A personal line allows for much greater individual movement and in the event of an emergeny you do not place two divers at greater risk, surface support personel sometimes react with high adreline. Individual lines permit better line communication between diver and tender. The rescue/support dive team is always kept ready and usually we rotate this task.. The personal choice in harness can range from just clipping to your BCD to wearing a web under harness or a swiss seat. I'm not in favor of just clipping to the BCD, once this proved to be a "PROBLEM". We normally have our divers surface up into a heated tent (with waiting warm MOOSE MILK) If we don't have a tent we make an Igloo (Hey I'm from Canada) or one of our divers let us use his Ice fishing hut, now that was kick a#@*.
I would like to know what shape of hole you cut. We have used rope and french ladders to exit the water, even the wrench from a 4x4 and a tow rope off a snowmobile. Most time we cut a rounded corner triangle as we find that this allows the diver to get a better grip onto the sides of the ice and usually they can lift a little and roll onto the ice. Each diver carrys ice picks. Dive knives can cause the ice to split,and when ice cracks it's not a good sound to hear when you are under water/ice. :cold:

While most clubs ad groups use the one diver one line one tender approach, we have been using the "Y" split line with a single tender. We started this method two years ago when we had trouble getting people to go out and stand on the ice and freeze in winter.

As to the harness, we used a DUI weight and trim harness as the pattern.

Got the webbing from Thread Exchage.com as well as the super poly thread.
Had a local seat cover and marine repair place sew them for us for around 10.00 each. Total cost for the 4 harnesses was under 100.00 complete. We used plastic buckles that we ordered from Dive-Rite.

I will look and see if I can find the pattern we used and post it later to this forum.

Mike...

GDI once bubbled...
:doctor:
<snip> (with waiting warm MOOSE MILK)

You're kidding right. I mean like how would you actually milk a moose? Based on my experience it's the only animal in the forest more dangerous than a bear...... When a big moose gives me "the look" (you know the one I mean) I am outta-there! Of course I'm talking about bulls. I've even seen bulls tear small trees right out of the ground in rutting season. Man you do *not* want to be in the way when they've got that kind of chip on their shoulder...... Biologists say that they do this to scare other bulls. I've got news, it works on people too! Makes you feel *reallllly* small..... :)

In other words, the guy that milked that moose either knows something I don't know or his fontanel never grew shut. :)

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom