Your gonna hate me another Strobe question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wizard1325

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok I am deploying to Iraq so im going to use the TAX money that they dont take away to buy a Nikon 300S
now that being said

I am 101% novice on Camera rig set up took me a month just to figure about I want the 300s compare to the Cannon 7D I just wished Nikon had 1080P ERRRRR

anyway lets talk about strobes.

I need links to tell me what i should be looking for in tech spec wise
Also strobes for dummys link would be awesome

Most likely the kinda shots im going to be taking as a beginner is close up wild life shots eels star fish ..and stupid fish that keeps looking at me wondering what im doing
dam noisey fish =0) .. So I dont what to get ethier a wide angel or fish eye lense then another post for another time.

Im still stuck on the housing im going to purchase..most likely i was leaning towards nauicam housing.. but back to the main suject

1. soft lght regular light and all that jazz I wanna get a Dual set for my rig set up of strobes.

2.do these strobes come with the wires and kits i need for mounting and hooking up
or is it like buying a blu ray player with no hdmi cable ?

3. what is a good photograher magazine to subscribe to learn more and educate myself

4. I heard strobes are the only investment that can carry be on to an upgraded camera is this a myth or true?

5. links of pictures of the strobes on a website would help greatly if you can but not important

6. im so sorry to bug you guys with all these newbie questions and try to dum things down for me as i havent educated myself with how lighting works and all that
i have 6months in iraq to do this lol =0)

There are some excellent existing threads on "starting out" some of the equipment info is a little dated as models change so quickly but there is one here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...techniques-rebates-deals-look-here-first.html

Excellent comparison of strobes but again some of the data is a little old or newer models may be out: http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php

Other excellent sources are Wetpixel.com :: Underwater Photography and Videography and www.divephotoguide.com Look at the "sticky" subjects and the novice sections and you will get a lot of great info.

1. Not a question, so no answer.
2. No cables. Strobes are independent of camera/housing, so you need to pick your housing and its corresponding connector before you can pick the right cables. Fiber optic is all the rage now.
3. Buy Martin Edge's latest book. Suggestions to follow Wetpixel and Dive Photo Guide are also good.
4. Not necessarily. Ports and lenses also move forward.
5. Google Backscatter.com or Reef Photo & Video. They have lots of pictures.

Ok I am deploying to Iraq so im going to use the TAX money that they dont take away to buy a Nikon 300S
By the time you get back from deployment, it's likely the D400 (or
whatever the D300s follow-on is) will be out. It's a good bet it will
have HD video.

yea im going to wait

hopefully they make a housing for it fast

I lied I cant wait buying d300s =))

The Nauticam allows use of fiberoptic strobes, so just make sure that the ones you choose are compatible with Nikon's ttl (through the lens metering) system on the D300s. The strobe mfg. will generally have a chart. If packing light for travel is a priority and you're shooting mostly macro, the Inon s2000's are TINY. If you want more power and the availability of a sync cord operation, the Z240's kick butt. A lot of people choose Sea & Sea YS-110a's as well. They will do either optic or electric sync. Ikelite also makes some very nice stobes.

can you help me pick out the wires i need for my nauticam please =(

i have no clue what to buy but i am getting a pair of Z240's inons =0)
so whatever would be the best for that set up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom