Your Favorite Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottyroz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Scenario: You were going to Coz for a week, chartered a boat for the week, weather was perfect for diving any site, and the DM would take you wherever you wanted to go.
What would be your top sites for the week? I know the DM knows best because he/she dives everyday and that all sites are great sites but you have to have YOUR favorite sites...

I know this is a perfect scenario which is something only to dream about but I figure this will get a TRUE list of our favorite sites to hit.

scottyroz:
Scenario: You were going to Coz for a week, chartered a boat for the week, weather was perfect for diving any site, and the DM would take you wherever you wanted to go.
What would be your top sites for the week? I know the DM knows best because he/she dives everyday and that all sites are great sites but you have to have YOUR favorite sites...

I know this is a perfect scenario which is something only to dream about but I figure this will get a TRUE list of our favorite sites to hit.

Here are my favorites:
Palancar Bricks, Gardens, Horseshoe, Caves
Colombia Deep, Pinnacles, Shallows
Cedral Pass, Wall
Punta Sur Throat, Cathedrals
Tormentos
Punta Tuniche
Francesa
Chankanaab
Paradise
Chun Chakab
Maracaibo
Dalila
San Francisco
Santa Rosa
Yucab

;^)

ggunn:
Here are my favorites:
Cedral Pass, Wall
Tormentos
Punta Tuniche
Francesa
Chankanaab
Paradise
Chun Chakab
Maracaibo
Dalila
San Francisco
Santa Rosa
Yucab

;^)

For DH and I, we will add that Gordon's list is wonderful and in any order. (Oh except Maracaibo, never been there, b/c I don't fit the profile for deep dives....:11doh: , sorry inside personal joke on me). Actually we have never been to Maracaibo , and as I bet that it is nice, we have not missed it as we have always been so busy with so many other reefs to dive at. Perhaps sometime in the future we will be ready for Maricaibo....Anyway...I digress...the decision for the day on where to dive for us depends on where we have been, how much diving we have been doing deep/shallow, weather and what others on the boat want as well. Follow the moment and you will have a fantastic time. :yl2jump:

ggunn:
Here are my favorites:
Cedral Pass, Wall
Tormentos
Punta Tuniche
Francesa
Chankanaab
Paradise
Chun Chakab
Maracaibo
Dalila
San Francisco
Santa Rosa
Yucab

Yeah, all the other major sites suck bigtime.

First off, ditto the list above! ha, ha, Since you say perfect scenario, I'd take advantage of the smooth as glass surface that day and get all the way south to Maracaibo. I can't tell you how many times we've had a boat headed that way and the closer we get the DM and Captain and divers decide the water surface is too rough to get farther south down to it! Amazing to feel the difference as you round the tip heading toward there! Last Sept. we were so close to there and boom, all of a sudden we might have well been in a squal line! It was very disheartning to have to "settle" for Columbia or Palancar, but in reality it just gives me another reason to have to book another dive trip so maybe we'll finally make it to Maracaibo. ANY dive in Coz listed above would be perfect, but for long length of dive, variety of sea life, variety of coral present, and sunlight beaming in, you can't go wrong with Columbia Shallows, Santa Rosa Shallows, or Palancar Shallows. OF course if it's pinnacles and huge mountain formations with swim throughs you are looking for, then you'll have to go to the deep ones listed above. Don't forget that the 2 dives on the North end of the island are best done on perfect scenarios too since most boats don't take you there as just plain options of the day (San Juan and Barracuda)
If you are doing 3 dives each day atleast you'll hit almost all of the list and can save the rest for your return trip..... Enjoy.

Maybe we should change the topic to Least Favorite sites or Sites I could skip:wink:

BTW...this topic is covered ALOT here. Here are two other threads that have as many opinions as posters as well....they were the first two to come up under a search in this forum for "Top Sites in Cozumel"

Bottom line, if you are diving with a decent shop...you're going to get to the "best" sites Cozumel has to offer...which is HIGHLY subjective to begin with. Some shops simply won't do the more advanced sites and the more reptutable ones won't take you to certain sites until you've demostrated proficiency in the water, regardless of what c-card you hold. As I answered you by PM, discussing with your dive op ahead of time is the best idea. That gives them a chance to plan accordingly and will also give you an idea if there are any sites on your wish list that they won't do...finding that out once you're on the island is a bad time to discover that they don't do certain sites.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=183200&highlight=Top+sites+in+Cozumel

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=163784&highlight=Top+sites+in+Cozumel

Thanks again for your very helpful response Christi. I used the search button and did not like the responses that were given as they were very generic responses and can be assumed for diving anywhere. I worded my post the way I did in order to get actual site names and some reasons for them being listed. I have been to coz twice and heading back for a third helping, I was trying to see if there were sites that really stick out for other people. Cookie cutter responses get old pretty quick...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom