Your favorite SCUBA"Gadgets"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my favorite gadgets don't go into the water with me. I have a "Tobin tool", which is a small die-cut wrench that is perfect for servicing or doing field repairs on inflators. And I have another clever gadget from Tobin, which is an adapter that goes onto the end of a hose to allow filling a BC through the Schrader valve, for rinsing. I have Deep Sea Supply boots for my gauges. Hmm . . . I sound like an ad for DSS, but Tobin does think of the handiest stuff!

I also have a Trilobite Eezycut. Amazing tool.

So, what are your favorite SCUBA trinkets that make diving easier, more convenient or more fun?

Not really a "trinket",.... but I would have to honestly say,.... My truck. Owning 12 or so cylinders, plus commonly having to carry class cylinders. I tried to work out of my old Toyota RAV4 for a year or 2; that didn't work out so well. If I loaded more than 10 cylinders,... all I saw on the drive to the quarry was sky,... My RAV4 was sitting on its springs. The truck is sooooo much simpler & sturdier for what I need.

Less is more, nothing like a nice, streamlined rig!

Not sure I would want one buddy line, let alone two. One light if you aren't cave or night diving should be fine. Spare mouthpieces? More than one? So you can replace them at depth? I think that you can leave those on the boat, or at home.

Spare air? Lots of threads about THAT, no need to start another one.

On the other hand, an SMB and a spool is advisable. You don't mention even one cutting tool, I have two (trauma shears and a Trilobite). I also take a strobe to hang on the anchor line in low vis, and I recently got a Nautilus GPS radio.

I've seen mouthpieces pretty much shear off when the second stage hose gets caught up, so when my buddy switched to his octo after the mouthpiece was ripped in two, I tapped his shoulder and put him a new mouthpiece on underwater. He was immensely impressed

I've seen mouthpieces pretty much shear off when the second stage hose gets caught up, so when my buddy switched to his octo after the mouthpiece was ripped in two, I tapped his shoulder and put him a new mouthpiece on underwater. He was immensely impressed

That IS impressive! OK, you should take your mouthpieces and zip ties with you...

tstormdiver:
Not really a "trinket",.... but I would have to honestly say,.... My truck. Owning 12 or so cylinders, plus commonly having to carry class cylinders. I tried to work out of my old Toyota RAV4 for a year or 2; that didn't work out so well. If I loaded more than 10 cylinders,... all I saw on the drive to the quarry was sky,... My RAV4 was sitting on its springs. The truck is sooooo much simpler & sturdier for what I need.

Does that go on your webbing, in your pockets, or do you just clip it off to a D-ring?

:)

Like some others I'm more of a less is more diver. Knife, light, SMB and spool is often all I carry. If OW boat diving or in conditions other than perfect I'll take my emergency pocket which contains a bigger SMB, strobe, dive alert air horn, trauma shears and signalling mirror.

As far as "gadgets" I own that I love, spring straps and my mb-sub X1-VB would top the list.

Like TS&M I also own the valve flusher, a tank tool and inflator tool from DSS along with boots for my compasses and computer, yes Tobin makes cool practical gear.

Last edited:
So, what are your favorite SCUBA trinkets that make diving easier, more convenient or more fun? I've been looking for some things to add to my arsenal of "stuff" I put on my BCD. Currently, I have 2 lights, a slate, a reel, backup buddy line, spare air, spare mask, spare mouthpieces (not sure why I carry them while diving) and zipties.

I usually carry the minimum required equipment for a dive. I also use a commercial diving harness that will put a couple of rings at your waist rather then using the rings on the BCD. Tends to keep things more secure and streamlined. The only items on the BCD are in the pockets. As for attaching items I use mountain climbing carabiners for just about everything.

Back
Top Bottom