Your favorite playa restaurant or bar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm headed to Playa for a couple of days and staying at the Playa Palms. I'm looking for advice on places to eat and drink. There is no food package with the hotel, so I'm looking for places for all three meals. I don't mind going off the main ave and my spanish is decent. Tourist or local, doesn't matter, just good eats. :wink:

I'm not one to shy away from a cold adult beverage after the diving is done. So any fun bar suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all of you Playa folks.

PH

ps searched the forum and didn't find much current info.

No first hand info, but I found THIS on wikitravel whilst searching for info for my trip. Some of the places mentionned by the author sound yummy.

I'm headed to Playa for a couple of days and staying at the Playa Palms. I'm looking for advice on places to eat and drink. There is no food package with the hotel, so I'm looking for places for all three meals. I don't mind going off the main ave and my spanish is decent. Tourist or local, doesn't matter, just good eats. :wink:

I'm not one to shy away from a cold adult beverage after the diving is done. So any fun bar suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all of you Playa folks.

PH

ps searched the forum and didn't find much current info.

I have no idea where the Playa Palms is located, but my two favorite places are located next door to each other. HC Monterrey and El Fogon, right across Constituentes from the Mega. Great food, not much English spoken and you certainly will not pay the prices you would on La Quinta. They open at 13:00 for lunch, so no help for breakfast. This is where the locals eat for a good business lunch/dinner.

Good watering holes, try the Beer Bucket between 5th and 10th on Calle 10 (it may be 12) and across the street at La Ranta. Both have a lot of expats dropping in late afternoons.

No first hand info, but I found THIS on wikitravel whilst searching for info for my trip. Some of the places mentionned by the author sound yummy.

try Playa del Carmen info, without a doubt the best site to get questions answered about Playa.

Fav breakfast: the chilaquiles toluquenos from VIP´S on the highway are yuuuuuummmmmyyyy!! La Pasteleria on Constituyentes and 25th ave serves up nice breakfasts as well (my choice the spinach, mushroom crepes with parmesan sauce.... *drool*).
Lunch: can't go wrong with a nice slad or sandwich from Karma Bagel on Constituyentes and 5th. For fresh shrimp tacos and yummy ceviche all the cool kids go to Los Aguachiles on 34th street and 25th ave.
Dinner: The new El Bistro on 5th btw 22nd and 24th was a new addition and yummy surprise. La Cueva del Chango serves up yummy original dishes with loads of fresh veggies (38th just below 5th ave).
For a really interesting snack which is a bit out of downtown there is this restaurant on the corner of Calle 3 Bis and 45th ave. (behind the Chedraui supermarket) and they specialize in Machacados (shaved ice, your fruit of choice, condensed milk, and cinnamon) YUM, add a freshly fried empanada and you are full of fatty yumminess.
Since I live here my favs do not include much in the way of meats and tacos... fruit and veggies are a must. Let me know if you need any more advice! YAY foodies!

Thanks everyone. I'm definately a foodie, I find the food one of the best parts of traveling! Lot's of choices in Playa. Looking forward to experiencing different parts of the town.

PH

From Calle 14 and the beach El Fogon and HC Monterrey is about a 10/15 minute walk. One place that is very close is Pizza Pazza. Great pizza by the slice, right on 5th (block south of Constituyentes) and goes roughly $30p for a big slice.

El Fogon for sure. Everything Sofia says (divinglife) has got to be good...she always has a smile...probably from being well fed. I have a favorite as well. Los Amigos at Avenida 30 and Calle 26. Maybe a little more expensive compared to the rest of 30th Ave but the portions are large. Order the BBQ special (if you like MEAT). If you plan to do any diving with GeoFish then Max and Morgan will give you directions. It's one of their favorites too.

HAHAHA!!! That has got to be the funniest thing ever said about me on Scuba Board!
Hey Ed, speaking of keeping me smiling with food, have you checked out the small home bakery around the corner from your place? It is a small pink house on 34th street between 20th and 25th ave. They have fresh baked cakes by the slice or whole and usually carry chocolate fudge cake, lemon meringue pie, tres leches, cheesecake, and others. The chocolate is a GUARANTEED smile! Highly recommended!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom