Your advice please - DSS rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi.

I am the proud and happy owner of a DSS rig - a single cylinder LCD 20 with steel backplate - which I picked up in Kuala Lumpur (it was their only option actually). I originally planned to dive with an AL80 but here in Mauritius steel is the norm so I'm a little overweighted but no big deal. Anyway, the set up certainly gets a fair bit of attention (admiration?) over here from my clients. The only problem I've had so far is that the knife was very easily lost.

So now my wife is looking for hers. She is 5'3" and dives a single AL80 with a 5mm wetsuit. What would you recommend? A torus 17?

I am also considering a bigger wing to dive with double 10s, any suggestions?

Of course this is all superfluous if you don't ship to Mauritius...

Thanks for your help,
Tim

I am sure Tobin will be along soon, but I dive in the Caribbean which has similar climate, and I use the Kydex backplate with the 17 lbs tropical wing for single tanks. It serves me pretty well.

I also have a 30 lb Torus wing for my doubles, for when I switch over. If your twin 10s are steels, you might need a slightly bigger wing (mine are twin Al 80s).

Hi.

I am the proud and happy owner of a DSS rig - a single cylinder LCD 20 with steel backplate - which I picked up in Kuala Lumpur (it was their only option actually). I originally planned to dive with an AL80 but here in Mauritius steel is the norm so I'm a little overweighted but no big deal. Anyway, the set up certainly gets a fair bit of attention (admiration?) over here from my clients. The only problem I've had so far is that the knife was very easily lost.

So now my wife is looking for hers. She is 5'3" and dives a single AL80 with a 5mm wetsuit. What would you recommend? A torus 17?

I am also considering a bigger wing to dive with double 10s, any suggestions?

Of course this is all superfluous if you don't ship to Mauritius...

Thanks for your help,
Tim

If your wife is short waisted I'd suggest a Small Plate, if she is normally proportioned, or long waisted the medium plate is a better choice. Given that you have a DSS plate (medium I assume?) she can try it and adjust as needed.

They typical 5mm suit on a smaller diver can be 8-12 lbs positive. The typical steel cylinder is -2 empty. That means a SS plate is still a benefit.

With a SS Plate, reg and full HP100 the rig will be about - 18. That makes an LCD 20 the smallest wing to consider, and makes the Torus 26 a reasonable choice, particularly if thicker suits are being considered.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Tobin

Thanks for your comments. I will indeed ask her to try mine first.

Tobin - Do you ship to Mauritius or can you recommend a supplier that does? I might even consider getting a couple for my students.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom