You guys caught my attention!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya know....I have given that some thought and your advice may tip me over the edge. I'm pretty new...well lets be honest...I am basically a virgin here and I did wonder how long it would take to get me in the water with one if I did the eBay thing first...then figured out how to rebuild it....then get the Phoenix...and then ....and then. Maybe I will just buy a DA AM from them....get the upgrade but still see what I can score from eBay or wherever and work on them in my spare time.

Thanx Richard

Drop an email to Bryan at VDH and see if there are any Phoenix nozzles left from the latest batch. There may not be. If that is the case, it may be a while before he has more made. They're kind of pricey (mine was $181) and I had to prepay so Bryan could accumulate the funds to pay the manufacturer. I didn't have a problem with it.

If there are no Phoenix nozzles and you want to dive with a DH before there are more, the Royal AquaMaster is probably the way to go. Bryan has a banjo fitting that sits between the tank valve and the yoke. You use this with a 3/8" high pressure hose to connect an SPG. A 3/8" hose is NOT the current standard. You can find the hose on eBay from time to time but you can buy them brand new from Trident through your LDS. The Triden A103 hose is 28" long - 4" longer than DIR recommends but it works well for me.

Next, you can use the hookah port to provide low pressure. See the octopus adaptor here: Adaptors/High and Low Pressure : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving Once you get the adapter, you can get a fitting to add 3 LP ports Regulator Hose Fitting (3)3/8" Females (1) 3/8" MALE (AA53) That fitting is also available from Trident as AA53. In fact, download the Trident catalog and check out page 19. You may need swivels before it's over.

Now you can have an octo and power inflation.

You are all set to go with a stock RAM. Enjoy!

Richard

Last edited:
Drop an email to Bryan at VDH and see if there are any Phoenix nozzles left from the latest batch. There may not be. If that is the case, it may be a while before he has more made. They're kind of pricey (mine was $181) and I had to prepay so Bryan could accumulate the funds to pay the manufacturer. I didn't have a problem with it.

If there are no Phoenix nozzles and you want to dive with a DH before there are more, the Royal AquaMaster is probably the way to go. Bryan has a banjo fitting that sits between the tank valve and the yoke. You use this with a 3/8" high pressure hose to connect an SPG. A 3/8" hose is NOT the current standard. You can find the hose on eBay from time to time but you can buy them brand new from Trident through your LDS. The Triden A103 hose is 28" long - 4" longer than DIR recommends but it works well for me.

Next, you can use the hookah port to provide low pressure. See the octopus adaptor here: Adaptors/High and Low Pressure : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving Once you get the adapter, you can get a fitting to add 3 LP ports Regulator Hose Fitting (3)3/8" Females (1) 3/8" MALE (AA53) That fitting is also available from Trident as AA53. In fact, download the Trident catalog and check out page 19. You may need swivels before it's over.

Now you can have an octo and power inflation.

You are all set to go with a stock RAM. Enjoy!

Richard

Thanx Richard for the great info. That is certainly one way for me to go. Now I have to find a RAM somewhere.
But first let me tell you what I did today. I scored a DA AM on eBay today but it is in unknown condition. The last few minutes of the auction were actually quite exciting as the bids closed in on my max bid but I prevailed. whew. Then I took your advice and bought the DA AM online from Bryan at VDH. So now I have two of these on the way to me, one in top condition (as rebuilt by Bryan) and one in not so top condition for me to tinker with. The Phoenix may take some time though...as you may know. But I have patience and will happily wait my turn in the queue.
So I have taken my first puff on the double hose crack-pipe.....wish me luck.:D

Cheers,
Bill

Last edited:
You can do the same with the DA, on the outside they are physically the same except the RAM's nozzle is about 1/8 longer, inside the nozzle they are somewhat different but the differences are not relivent to the use of a banjo and other LP accesseries. As long as you have a long yoke, you can use a banjo and all LP adapters. Another suggestion I have for you is to brush up on regulator theory and operation. If you are going to be inside these regs doing work on them- and it's rare for a vintage diver not to, you should understand how they work. Here are a couple of great books that IMO every diver should have. "Regualtor Savvy" by Pete Wolfinger Scuba Tools and "Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair" by Vance Harlow. Airspeed Press Homepage - Books For Serious Divers While neither deal with DH regs directly, all of the theroy is the same....just no hose between the first and second stage.

Here are a couple of great books that IMO every diver should have. "Regualtor Savvy" by Pete Wolfinger Scuba Tools and "Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair" by Vance Harlow. Airspeed Press Homepage - Books For Serious Divers While neither deal with DH regs directly, all of the theroy is the same....just no hose between the first and second stage.

Thanx for that info herman....I didn't know about these references. I do have the service manuals etc. on disk for them but they don't always include tips and tricks.

Your post, especially the 1st paragraph, brings back memories, as we got certified in November 1977. I remember the eq mentioned, especially the horsecollar BC's.

Always thought the double hosr reg's were cool; brings back memories of "Sea Hunt"!

Can't believe I'm getting so old, but I still dive an average of 2 - 4 times a month; helps to live in S. Fl.

Post what you aquire - good luck

Here are a couple of great books that IMO every diver should have. "Regualtor Savvy" by Pete Wolfinger Scuba Tools and "Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair" by Vance Harlow. Airspeed Press Homepage - Books For Serious Divers While neither deal with DH regs directly, all of the theroy is the same....just no hose between the first and second stage.

Wow....just got "Regulator Savvy" in the mail today and have only had time for a quick look over it. At first blush I would say that this book is woefully underpriced. Peter Wolfinger has done an amazing job with the writing and illustrations...it looks like I am going to have a great reading experience.:D

herman has pointed out that the goodies I recommended for the RAM will work with the DA AM as well. The only reason I mentioned the RAM is that is has a balanced first stage and breathing may be more consistent over tank pressure.

But either will work with the SPG and hookah stuff. In fact, I have ordered the fittings to convert my RAM for my grandson. He really likes the regulator, to the exclusion of his conventional reg, and I want him to have inflation and an octo. One day I might get the RAM converted to a PRAM but not quite yet.

Richard

Last edited:
A slight typo in one of my previous posts...I actually ordered a Royal Aquamaster, not a DA Aquamaster from Bryan at VDH. It arrived yesterday, it is a beauty and is ready to dive:

RAM.JPG

This one (from ebay)....not so much:

IMG_1287.JPG

But it does work, I find, after attaching to a tank. Now on to the rebuild.

As you can see pretty much all of the rubber bits are toast and it is missing a ring. It looks like someone also had the duck bill attached to the outside of the exhaust port and that's where that black ick (technical term) has come from. You can see the rotted end of the duckbill in the photo.

I have been reading the regulator books by Wolfinger and Harlow and have been learning tons. As always the info you guys post in the forums has been a great help. Steep learning curve....but fun. But "sigh"....so little time. Onwards and downwards.

Cheers,
Bill

Those are both beauties. The duckbill, BTW, folds over the outside of the horn. Everybody has their methods for removing the melted goo, I like MPK, lol.

N

Order a rebuild kit, diaphram, and hose kit (hoses, wagon wheels, duckbill, new mouth piece, and clamps - Yellow hoses with a black mouth piece look great in photos) and you will bring that DA up to snuff. Costs should be $140 plus shipping. When you order, make sure you check out his "Free Stuff" section.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom