You backplate guys have got me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kazinvan:
Hey Bob, I'm seriously considering getting the single tank rig from DSS after a careful review of the various products on the market. One thing I don't really understand is how the plate holds the tank in place. Without an STA, doesn't it move a bit from side to side? Seems like an STA would lock the cylinder in place, but just having the bands would cause some shifting. I can see it being more secure if the bladder is fully inflated since that would expand around the cylinder and hold it in place, however when I dive I completely empty my BCD and just use my drysuit for buoyancy. In this case, with an empty bladder, doesn't the tank shift?

I like the idea of the extra weight plates as well, seems like it would distribute the weight well. One thing I'm not quite sure about is trim. Currently I have a hefty 25 pound weight belt and almost 20 pounds in the BCD. I'm a bit worried that if I shift the weight more towards my head I'll have a tendency for a head down trim.

Any comments you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

The DSS wing has a little rubber piece built into the center part of the wing that keeps the cylinder stable once the cam bands are tightened. Keep in mind it isn't the wing that holds the cylinder in place ... it's the cam bands.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

mxracer19:
leisurepro.com sells dive-rite wings for 225. coupled with a hammerhead steel bp/STA for 99, and the transplate harness for 109.

$434
Good recommendation, but IMHO the transplate harness is a big waste of money. Get 12' (4m) of webbing, 3 D-rings, 3 triglides, and a buckle, and go with the simple hogarthian harness. For under $375 (if you don't already have the hardware). It's easy to don and doff, super easy and cheap to replace if necessary, and totally adjustable. For the same $109, I could put a brand new harness on my plate every 5 years for the next 40 years.

Hi,

I gladly agree on all points of the DSS system, only prob is they don't have a AL plate when I last checked. Tobin please consider making AL plates PLEASE.

Cheers,
SangP

I've heard that frogmanjerry plate is pretty nice...and it fit's the OMS IQ Pack, just fer knowin'. It's already deburred too...bonus. They usually go for a pretty good price on the old eBay. The Hammerhead 2 piece STA's are the way to go in my opinion. You could get the cold water special from them...then all you need is a wing, the harness, and you're ready to hit the water! Making a harness is pretty easy. Seems to me you coldn't go wrong with:

FMJ plate and harness - Usually go for about $90-$120 on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16053&item=7149219469&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Hammerhead 1 piece STAs - $49 (excellent CS)
http://www.hammerheadscuba.com/pricepoint.htm
Dive Rite Rec wing - BIN on ebay for $200
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16053&item=7149376117&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Total = under $400 shipped

Oh, and don't forget a couple of cam bands! I would think diving a SS plate would be best for your location (colder lakes)...you can still use it in the ocean too. Remember...you need more weight there anyways...saltwater. With my AL plate and a 7mm wetsuit with double AL 80s I use 18lbs in fresh water, not including the 2 lbs from my plate. With a single AL 80 in salt and a 3mm full wetsuit, I use about 12 lbs. also not including the 2lbs from my plate. Here is a pretty cool weight converter that can be helpful when going back and forth and planning: http://home.nc.rr.com/lynnb/weight.html

-Trey

Hi,

I would not buy a wing from ebay cus of warranty and safety issues. I rather pay a bit more and get a Oxycheq wing for bout a hundred more as I know that if something goes wrong with the wing, I'll be able to get some help at least.

Cheers and good luck in getting a great system.

SangP

PS don't forget the DSS system, it's a steal if you are going for a SS backplate:
http://deepseasupply.com/index.html

SangP:
Hi,

I gladly agree on all points of the DSS system, only prob is they don't have a AL plate when I last checked. Tobin please consider making AL plates PLEASE.

Cheers,
SangP

Consider the Kydex plate from DSS. I have one and it is paired with an Abyss 55lb lift wing. I have used it with double genesis 120's without any problem. It has no problem holding the tanks on my back while I walk to the water. Once in the water the tanks are solid. I have absolutely NO complaints about the plate. The center channel and all of the webbing slots are reinforced with a small section of stainless steel. I am 6' 220lbs and I use the standard size plate, it fits well.

Probably the highest endorsement I can give the plate is, "I don't notice it at all when diving." A good plate should be one piece of gear that just works, period. This plate does exactly that.

I use mine with a simple one piece webbing harness, I think this style harness is the only way to go. Simple, cheap, and superior in both form and function.

Mark Vlahos

Back plate is great. I use Halcyon Eclipse. It's great for cold water diving to keep me in trim with my drysuit & gear. I use this for cold & warm water now. Crotch strp is the only thing which requires an adjustment (and of course less additional weights). Another nice thing is that a little bit of weight gain necessitates only D-ring adjustments on the straps.

SangP:
Hi,

Cheers,
SangP

Hi Sang,

In my view AL plates don't really offer a solution that isn't already met with our Kydex Plate.

Al is lighter than SS, but not as light as our Hybrid plate. The kydex plate is not only lightweight for travel, but is less negative in the water than AL given the Specific gravity of the kydex is close to water ~1.2 IIRC. If you are looking for a less negative plate it is pretty hard to beat plastics.

Al can corrode (although with the proper alloy and reasonable care this is not a hugh issue), the Kydex / SS hybrid is not likely to.

Our Kydex plate has oversized reinforcements, which means the webbing does not bear on the edges of the stainless, only on the radiused edges of the Kydex, so wear is minimal.

The kydex plate is slightly flexible, more so than a 1/8 or 3/16 al plate would be. This slight flex adds comfort when worn with little exposure suit.

I just don't see where AL is an advantage.

Regards,

Tobin

that's some nice looking stuff you got there, Tobin

I would take a look at Hammerhead's backplates....VERY high quality and very reasonably priced with an STA.....check them out:
www.hammerheadscuba.com

Also, the people are extremely helpful there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom