You are all right!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Penopolypants:
I wear 30 lbs with a steel tank. Shell dry suit and super thick undies. The ladies here in the PacNW need what they need. :)

Seriously, how do u manage to walk?

Wonderful news! I too am a female that wore a lot of weight, I was up to 38 pounds in my trilam shell with all the layers I wore under it and 2 more pounds would have been nice as I was a bit light. I'm down to less underwear now that I'm diving with dry gloves (my cold hands made my body miserable). I was able to drop to 26 pounds but I think I'll have to go back to 28 because I'm light at my safety stop. You will get there, I promise! If you are not diving dry gloves they are WELL WORTH the expense! Keep on diving, you may hit a plateau where it doesn't seem like you're getting better but you just have to look harder for the improvements as they will be small but important. Dive with people who look graceful underwater and try to mimic what they do, have them watch and help you.
Enjoy your dives!
Ber :lilbunny:

ScubaSteve001:
The water in Wiarton, Ontario yesterday was 36 degrees (2 degrees F) and we were diving in 7mm. YIKES says it all, but it is always good.

Sweet...Colpoy's bay still has some open water. My Dad lives in Wiarton so it looks like I'll be paying him a visit. When I was a kid, the bay would be frozen out to the islands by Christmas.

Sean

Missdirected:
Seriously, how do u manage to walk?

Walking isn't so much of a problem, since I rarely go very far from donning the *#@! gear to getting in the water. It's getting back up after you trip and fall that becomes a pain. :D The last time that happened after my 3rd dive of the day, I had to take off all my weights and get my buddy to haul me up. Not my most graceful of moments.

sprange:
Sweet...Colpoy's bay still has some open water. My Dad lives in Wiarton so it looks like I'll be paying him a visit. When I was a kid, the bay would be frozen out to the islands by Christmas.

Sean
We had to dive the Fish Hatchery since Ceder Hill would have required a 4 x 4 to access the driveway. I am also told that Mallory's beach is open so you have options (especially if you can access Ceder Hill).

DandyDon:
I think you mean 36F or 2C...? 2F would be some very solid ice.

Still, I can do my 7 mil over a 1 mil with heavy beanie, gloves, boots down to 50F. I doubt I could do 36F, even with warm water poured inside the wetsuit first. But then, I'm probably twice you age. :D

But your body can adjust somewhat. The first time I did 50F like that, I couldn't stand it. Tried it again a month later, and no problem. Bodies learn...
Dandy, you are correct. I did not have to chip ice away to get at water. It was 36F and 2C. Apparently I am still firing on cold cylinders. It is actually quite "bearable" for a 20-25 minute dive. It is definitely much shorter than a summer dive.

Penopolypants:
Walking isn't so much of a problem, since I rarely go very far from donning the *#@! gear to getting in the water. It's getting back up after you trip and fall that becomes a pain. :D The last time that happened after my 3rd dive of the day, I had to take off all my weights and get my buddy to haul me up. Not my most graceful of moments.

I'm reminded of "A Christmas Story," where Ralphie's little brother falls down. LMAO!

Penopolypants:
There is some personal risk there, as well as extended risk to valuable gear. When I'm diving in a 7 mil with 25# of lead and 10# pony bottle plus extra reg:
(1) I like to put about 12-16# in my Integrated BC, but split off the rest to a weight belt;
(2) I like a boat mate to help me stand and walk so I won't fall; and
(3) If I'm diving anywhere close to NDL, I like to pass weights up first before climbing out, to reduce the possibilities of exertion induced hits.

All of my dive buddies learn that you can't walk off and leave me at the end of the dive, because I am SO likely to end up falling and unable to get back up. Weighing 120 pounds and carrying over 70 pounds of gear does not make one agile.

TSandM:
All of my dive buddies learn that you can't walk off and leave me at the end of the dive, because I am SO likely to end up falling and unable to get back up. Weighing 120 pounds and carrying over 70 pounds of gear does not make one agile.

I have slipped before with all my gear on and could not get back up. buddy had to pull me to my feet again. i made quite the pretty picture. it's happened twice now. :D i am fairly sure it'll be happening again, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom