Yonaguni Podcast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marshallkarp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It was suggested to me that I post this in your sub-forum.

I help out with the Underwater Videographer Podcast. This week's is a very strange and unusual podcast. I interviewed Dr. Robert Schoch from Boston University. He was involved in a History Channel Special on the Yonaguni Underwater Monument. Some say that this immense structure, 80 feet underwater, is artificially made and sculpted. Dr. Schoch comes down on that it is naturally formed.

Regardless, if you are looking for an exotic dive site to video, you may
want to check out the Underwater Videographer podcast at
Underwater Videographer.

By the way, unless I am mistaken, History Channel ran the special last week.

Also, by the way, not sure about the copyright laws on this, but the video
is up on Google Video at

Ancient Marvels Mysterious Pyramids at
Ancient Marvels Mysterious Pyramids

Cool - thanks for the heads-up. I dove Yonaguni's underwater pyramids at the start of this year and it's a breathtaking dive. Man-made or not, it's highly impressive and I'll be listening in to the podcast. What I will say about it is this: if it is naturally occurring, it's still amazing that all of these natural phenomena have occurred in this small rectangular area, and nowhere outside it.

Ditto. I dove there a few years ago and was immediately impressed with how the reef looked completely natural and smooth, then you drift around a corner into the boxy shapes, then drift out of that area into a more natural and smooth again. It is not proof of being man-made of course, but definitely leads one (or at least me) to that conclusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom