Yoke regs, high seas and geriatric lines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

microbubble1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, everyone.

I've read many discussions here on the pros and cons of DIN and yoke regulators and am just as undecided as before. I have a scenario, however, that may or may not factor into this discussion and would appreciate your comments:

On a few occasions, I have been diving off a small, anchored boat in pretty rough seas. While pulling myself along the geriatric line toward the anchor line, I was concerned that the pitching boat might hit me and didn't know if this was any reason to favor DIN over yoke regulators. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

With DIN, you can easily use a DIN to Yoke adapter

With Yoke, good luck.

I like DIN and use an adapter when I travel to places that don't have DIN

Yoke is more popular and more widespread but it is my opinion that the DIN is a better connection. I see lots of divers with small Yoke leaks while diving, but not any DIN divers with a small leak.

As far as your concern........If you get hit by the boat, you have more to worry about than DIN vs Yoke

If you're close enough to the boat to make actual contact with it, your air supply connection probably doesn't matter. In fact, a snorkel will probably serve you nicely.

With DIN, you can easily use a DIN to Yoke adapter

With Yoke, good luck.

I like DIN and use an adapter when I travel to places that don't have DIN

Yoke is more popular and more widespread but it is my opinion that the DIN is a better connection. I see lots of divers with small Yoke leaks while diving, but not any DIN divers with a small leak.

As far as your concern........If you get hit by the boat, you have more to worry about than DIN vs Yoke
With yoke, you just use a yoke insert in a DIN valve or use a yoke valve. Theres adapters both ways..
As far as more widespread - it might be true that yoke is more widespread in the US and caribbean, but in other parts of the world its the exact oposite..

And yes, if you get hit by the boat, what regulator youre using really gets insignificant VERY quickly..

Yes sir, I understand there are adapters both ways but it is not a good, ergonomic connection and it puts the 1st stage sideways. It is, however, possible. :)

Umm no?
The DIN-to-yoke tank conversion is nothing but a nut with an o-ring that you put into the threads, fitting the o-ring exactly where it would be if it was a yoke valve, meaning the yoke regs will sit in exactly the same place as it would on a yoke tank valve..

The adapter to use DIN regs on yoke valves is actually the one that makes thing "out of place", but only because it adds an inch or so of length between the o-ring and the regulator in addition to the knob and threads used to attach it to the yoke valve..

In both cases the 1st stage will be in the same place as it always is, but with the more bulky attachment to the yoke valve the 1st stage will stick out a little bit more (something thats for me have never been an issue)

Not talking about the pro-valves with the insert. Talking about a Yoke valve body and trying to connect DIN to it. Maybe I should have clarified.

Thats what I spoke about in the 2nd sentence. Still no problem. Valve is still in the same location but sticking out a tiny bit more and thats it..

[video=youtube;r3_MlBDsSxE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3_MlBDsSxE[/video]

Back
Top Bottom