Yoke o-ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtnredhed:
No, it's a real feature and Oceanic and Zeagle use the same trick on some of their firsts. They balance the diaphram (or piston) with ambiant pressure air instead of allowing water in. Less corrsion issues supposedly, and less likely to freeze up. In theory they should only bleed a trickle of air on ascent. More than that, or if it's bleeding during descent, there's a problem

Well that will teach me not to speculate.. :wink:
And I thought it sounded like a joke.

Scubaroo:
The reg definitely was firmly attached, and not leaking on the boat - I checked the tightness of the reg, and turned the valve myself - there was no leak or extrusion on the boat. Just didn't eyeball the o-ring to check its condition.

There was still working pressure to the reg, even down to the 400psi - I was able to inflate the wing on the surface, after trying the manaul inflation, I continued to breath the reg while on the surface until I made it back to the boat.

Crew's response was "old o-ring". No response from DM who was UW (no-one noticed the incident during the dive, OR my disappearance). That was the scary part in hindsight.

The DM heard a noise and didn't bother to look around? Might as well have been diving solo. Yeah, I don't think I'ld have too much to say either if I were him. Just makes you appreciate a "good" buddy. Some of these "guides" are only there for the free diving (and get paid for it).

Did a dive today in which the vis was maybe 10feet at most. Kept hearing this noise. Thought it was just the wing as it is new and I am just getting use to it. Thought it was a boat as there was a bit of traffic. I kept wondering why I was using air just a tad quicker then I was use too. At the end of the dive I could still hear the noise as I exited the water so I had my buddy check and low and behold it looked like a bad seal on the YOKE. At my car I took the reg off and noticed that the O-Ring was out of its track and a little indented were the YOKE and the reg had met and pinched it. I now know better.

Regarding the Sherwood regs....

I was also told that they should only release bubbles upon ascent, (not descent) They also told me that some inexperienced Scuba Service Techs have been known to seal these valves shut with silicone by mistake.

Bubblemaker_ontario:
Regarding the Sherwood regs....

I was also told that they should only release bubbles upon ascent, (not descent) They also told me that some inexperienced Scuba Service Techs have been known to seal these valves shut with silicone by mistake.

Not true. A sherwood emits a continuous stream of bubbles all the time. In fact that the bleed rate is correct is to submerge the reg and place a gradfuated cylinder over it to catch the air for a specific length of time.

Other regs that use a similar dry air bleed like the genesis 200 (I think) don't bleed air all the time but the sherwood does. If it doesn't then something is wrong.

I don't know that you could seal the sherwood closed with silicone. It's just an oriface with a little rubber check valve (one way). I think the air would just make it's way out past any grease.

In either case it would take a pretty inexperienced tech to not be familiar with the one feature of the sherwood regs that makes them different from other piston regs.

divenut2001:
The DM heard a noise and didn't bother to look around? Might as well have been diving solo. Yeah, I don't think I'ld have too much to say either if I were him. Just makes you appreciate a "good" buddy. Some of these "guides" are only there for the free diving (and get paid for it).
To be fair to the DM, he was at the head of the group, I was at the rear - the nearest diver was another guest of the resort in Fiji. The DMs there are definitely doing the diving as their livelyhood.

Scubaroo:
To be fair to the DM, he was at the head of the group, I was at the rear - the nearest diver was another guest of the resort in Fiji.
Whether or not the DM was at the head of the group, a pretty basic responsibility of any sort of group leader is to be aware of the location and condition of all members in the group. I always make a point of verifying how many divers total will be in the group --- a point often left out of the briefing for DM-led dives.

How long do you think it took for the tank to bleed down to 400psi? --- it sounds like quite a while since you surfaced, inflated BCD, and swam over to the boat before your air was shut off.

My buddy(my husband) and I always make sure we do a bubble check on each other while decending and at depth. It's a good thing too, because a few weeks ago I had a leak between the valve and tank that was rapidly progressing and my husband saw it immediately, noticed the rapid progression, and told me to ascend, get in the boat, and get out of my gear as soon as possible in case it failed completely. Now, I always make sure I do a bubble check on anyone I'm diving with and ask them to do the same for me.

Charlie99:
Don't forget that one can also do a simple self check by just rolling over and looking above you during a slow inhale.
Unless your hood is full of air :D

My buddy is always rolling over and getting paranoid about bubbles when he sees that... gets my attention, and his eyes get really big when the bubbles get HUGE... as I pat him on the top of the head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom