Yet another thread about ginger root

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquanaut10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don't intend to start another thread about the benefits, or lack of, ginger root as a remedy to motion sickness.... my problem is I am trying to find a particular form of softgel capsule that I bought 15 years ago but can't find anywhere now.

Most capsules on the market are powdered versions, these are ok, but not as effective as the liquid filled softgel capsules, for me anyway. There are a couple brands available, New Chapter sells a type called GingerForce, but these capsules are way smaller than the capsule I am looking for. They work but require a large quantity, 4 capsules before and 4 between dives, to be effective. Not surprising since they are only 250 mg. each. NSI makes a capsule that is 550 mg, but I can't tell from the label if these are liquid or powder form. New Chapter also makes a version they call Daily Ginger that are 400 mg, but again I can't determine if they are liquid or powder.

Below is a picture of the item I'm looking for, next to the GingerForce capsule, it is much larger and filled with a dark fluid. I only have this one left, can't find the bottle it came in, and don't remember the brand...not much help.

This was definitely the best ginger root option I've tried. If anyone has seen anything like these, or know of a similar product, I would really appreciate the info. I'm heading to West Palm Beach in April and would like to stock up.

Attachments

• ginger root.JPG
    ginger root.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 85
New Chapter's Daily Ginger is in capsule/fiber, not softgel, form. The NSI product linked by DandyDon also is in capsule/fiber, not softgel, form.

As you indicate, New Chapter's Ginger Force is in softgel form, but smaller in dosage than you desire. New Chapter also markets a liquid form of ginger extract taken by dropper, as do several other companies, e.g., Nature's Way.

Personally, I really don't see the objection to taking four of the Ginger Force softgels to achieve the dosage you are seeking. Nor to a liquid form of ginger extract taken by dropper or spoon.

Best of luck with your search.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks for the info, I guess the larger softgels aren't offered anymore. GingerForce does work with a large enough dose so I always have that option.

Have you had good results from GingerForce as well, Doc? From other threads it seems that ginger root is in-effective for most people.

Hi aquanaut10,

Thankfully, I am not prone to mal de mer and therefore rarely take anything for prevention. On the very rare occasion when I do have concerns, e.g., the crossing to Cocos Island, Costa Rica which can involve 36 hours of non-stop, rough open ocean travel, I use a scopolamine product, usually Transderm Scop ("the patch"). I have never tried ginger, but I do follow the literature on it and have written several articles on preventing seasickness.

Ginger seems to be effective in a fair number of users, but it's hard to tell from anecdotal reports on a message board as so many parameters vary, e.g., dose sizes, timing of doses, use of ginger in combination with other motion sickness meds/devices/techniques, the form of the ginger (e.g., ground root, crystallized root, tea, ginger snaps).

However, whether others find it effective or not, you do and that's the important thing.

As I conclude in my piece, "Tame the Technicolor Yodel: Managing Mal de Mer (http://www.awoosh.com/DocVikingo/Sea_sickness_remedies.htm)": "Just about every preparation and device for motion sickness has it advocates and believers. In the final analysis you'll need to discover, probably by trial and error, what works best for you with the least adverse reaction, cost and inconvenience."

BTW, you might find the above Undercurrent article informative as it suggests a number of other actions one can take in addition to using ginger that may reduce the chances of getting sick.

Hope this proves helpful.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom