Yet another Saanich Inlet vis report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NavyDoll:
There are also a lot of Giant Nudi's at the Bight right now... especially if you enter and head to the left in 70-100ft depths!

Which entry point did you use?

Entered at #1... the closest entry to the parking lot. Too lazy to walk to the next entry point.. in the pouring rain.. after a full days work!! Although, for all I know there was probably a 6-Gill at the next site :p

Saturday 9 July, Willis Pt.

0-20ft 5 ft viz.
20-40 15 ft viz.
over 40ft 25-40ft viz.

bring a good light.

Cheers

Al

Hyper-limits:
Saturday 9 July, Willis Pt.

0-20ft 5 ft viz.
20-40 15 ft viz.
over 40ft 25-40ft viz.

I'm not good at this feet of visibility measurement -- I prefer the "sucks," "okay," "good," "great," and "excellent" scale. However, at Henderson, vis was good below 20ft. Above 20feet it was like soup (sucks).

Saw my first shark today -- a 2.5foot dogfish. It swam within a couple feet of us. Curious I guess. My dive buddy had an instance of panic... hahahaha. All in a good day's dive.

- ChillyWaters

I dove Willis Point yesterday with Daryl Morse, Navydoll and Navydoll's friend (not sure if she has a SB account). The vis was clearing up. Above 20 ft it was ~10 ft and below that it cleared up to around 40.

SeanQ:
I dove Willis Point yesterday with Daryl Morse, Navydoll and Navydoll's friend (not sure if she has a SB account). The vis was clearing up. Above 20 ft it was ~10 ft and below that it cleared up to around 40.
It was a great experience to meet some fellow divers from Victoria. The vis was fantastic compared to what it's been lately at home. I really enjoyed seeing my first giant nudi and the squat lobsters, BUT I MISSED THE WOLF EEL! AARRGGHHH!

Daryl Morse:
It was a great experience to meet some fellow divers from Victoria. The vis was fantastic compared to what it's been lately at home. I really enjoyed seeing my first giant nudi and the squat lobsters, BUT I MISSED THE WOLF EEL! AARRGGHHH!
Don't feel too bad about the wolf eel. I also missed it. :sad_2:

Hey, at least we found an old engine!

Just finish a dive at Willis PT, thursday the 14 Jul 05.

Viz is excellent above 20ft
between 20-40ft viz=5ft to 10 ft
under 50ft viz=20-30 ft

I also found a new addition to the dive site a old style bathtub at 130ft

Sorry SeanQ I also saw a big wolf eel.

If anyone cares, I went to Beaver Point on Saltspring yesterday. I know it's not in Saanich Inlet, but just North of the entrance to it. Even though I was diving on slack, the current was pretty stupid. I could just barely swim against it, but I had to stop to catch my breath now and then. Visibility was only 10 feet all the way down to 110 feet which was as deep as I cared to go. The weird part is that the water was hardly salty at all. Even down deep everything was blurry from fresh water. I've never seen that before, even in Howe Sound in Springtime. Unlike Betty Pratt-Johnson, I didn't see any plumose anemones or sponges. There was lots of other colourful stuff crusting over the wall though. Another weird thing was that there were huge patches of acorn barnacles (spelling?) 80-100 feet deep. I usually just see those in the intertidal zone in low-salinity areas (again, Howe Sound).

Did a dive today at Willis Pt. the viz sucks stay away from the inlet.

viz 5ft or less under 20ft.

cheers

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom