Yet another required piece of safety gear... a LASER!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haumana ronin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
[h=3]Green laser leads to rescue of Oahu diver lost at sea[/h] By Lisa Kubota

KAENA POINT (HawaiiNewsNow) - An experienced diver is glad to be back at home after drifting at sea for eight hours off Kaena Point. Shining a laser at an aircraft is usually a crime, but this time it helped a Coast Guard crew find him.

Ron Tubbs has been catching aquarium fish for a living for 35 years. He has done thousands of deep-sea dives, but his latest outing nearly cost him his life.
"I try to be prepared for anything that can happen. Safety is always a major concern," said the Waimanalo resident.
He entered the water with his dive partner around 11 o'clock on Friday morning. He surfaced early when his line broke and he couldn't swim back to the boat.
"After kicking and kicking for quite awhile, I was unable to make it back to the boat so I was realized I'm going to be stuck out at sea for a long time," said Tubbs.
Tubbs was wearing a dry suit. He had two inflatable devices and a green laser. He said he drifted up to eight miles from shore, and was feeling tired and weak in the choppy seas.
"I was getting pretty sore in my legs and my back and thinking I might have decompression sickness and might be facing not just a lost at sea situation, but a medical situation," recalled Tubbs.
His friend called emergency crews, and Tubbs said he could see the Coast Guard and Honolulu Fire Department searching for him closer to shore.
"When it got dark I think they finally realized they saw the beam of the laser way off in the distance and took care not shine it in their eyes or anything, but in their direction and it reflects off the moisture in the air, so it makes a pretty big beam," said Tubbs.
"With how dark it was last night, it would have been impossible to see him unless we were right on top of him, knew exactly where he was. The way were able to find him so quickly was because he had some kind of signaling device," said Lt. Chris McAndrew of the U.S. Coast Guard.
While he was drifting, Tubbs had a lot of time to think about his wife and worry about sharks and jellyfish. Now that the ordeal is behind him, he is just grateful for his rescuers.
"I appreciate the Coast Guard and the fire department and all the work they put in to saving my life," said Tubbs.

Green laser leads to rescue of Oahu diver lost at sea - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

So what do you folks think?

:zen:

Bad idea, too great a risk of going wrong. PLB would be best.

I rarely say what I am about to say directly, in public, and with great force, to you Gcarter, but here goes:

NUTS TO THAT!

I carry a flashlight/strobe, a Nautilus Lifeline, and after having just made a call to some pals at USCG Air Station Clearwater, I will be buying one of these......or something similar.
Underwater Scuba & Dive Green Laser Pointer

At the very least it will give me something to do and/or play with while I am waiting for pick up, and I carry just about everything else anyway.

Chug
Boy Scout
Son of a Professional Boy Scout
Grandson of a Boy Scout
Great Grandson of a Boy Scout
"Be Prepared"

I rarely say what I am about to say directly, in public, and with great force, to you Gcarter, but here goes: NUTS TO THAT! I carry a flashlight/strobe, a Nautilus Lifeline, and after having just made a call to some pals at USCG Air Station Clearwater, I will be buying one of these......or something similar. Underwater Scuba & Dive Green Laser Pointer At the very least it will give me something to do and/or play with while I am waiting for pick up, and I carry just about everything else anyway. Chug Boy Scout Son of a Professional Boy Scout Grandson of a Boy Scout Great Grandson of a Boy Scout "Be Prepared"

Aw crap. I NEED that.

I rarely say what I am about to say directly, in public, and with great force, to you Gcarter, but here goes:

NUTS TO THAT!

I carry a flashlight/strobe, a Nautilus Lifeline, and after having just made a call to some pals at USCG Air Station Clearwater, I will be buying one of these......or something similar.
Underwater Scuba & Dive Green Laser Pointer

At the very least it will give me something to do and/or play with while I am waiting for pick up, and I carry just about everything else anyway.

Chug
Boy Scout
Son of a Professional Boy Scout
Grandson of a Boy Scout
Great Grandson of a Boy Scout
"Be Prepared"

LOL.

C'mon, out with it. Don't be shy. Tell us what you think :)

It's - as always - an individual cost / benefit analysis and risk assessment.

My thought is that if a laser can blind a pilot, I would rather not bring down an aircraft that is trying to rescue me when there are other means available.

If that's not a real risk, it should not be illegal to point a laser at an aircraft.

You at least carry other signalling devices, while there is no indication that this diver did. A laser would certainly not be my first choice.

Why did the boat just leave him there? I think an SMB would probably be my first choice in the case of not being found by the boat I’m diving from.

That's interesting. It seems like it's designed more for use u/w, but who knows. How much do they cost and where can one get them?

Ayisha, the cost is $88 USD and ordering info is on the linked page....

The last thing I want to do is blind the pilot searching for me.
I dived with mine last trip. No problem and very reassuring when I surfaced alone away from all boats, but didn't get to the point of using it. Still, a nice idea. They can really home in on you with as PLB.

I got mine primarily for inland adventures, like the ones you see on the news every day about lost hikers, wrong wilderness roads, etc. $200 after rebate, floats, waterproof on the surface, good for 5 years, and if you ever have to use it - they replace it for free. Makes me wonder why we don't all have one? Dive canister was extra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom