Yet another Raja Ampat liveaboard question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was directed at the OP and his ‘extended vacation time’ statement.

also, doesn’t mean anyone has to take both liveaboards with all the same people. I generally tend to meet up with different groups on each boat as indeed most don’t have the time or inclination to do my endurance trips..

the US vacation time does stink though..bet you are looking forward to retiring :) I hope I’ll still be in the shape to dive when I retire, although I’d be surprised..I think I need a bit more yoga over the next 20 years!

I think I'd need a vacation to recover after two liveaboards in a row! Sounds fun if you can swing it, though. Two weeks is about the longest I can get away with being away from my family on a solo trip, so I'll have to stick with one. If anything, I might be able to add a few days of land-based diving afterwards, but first things first, gotta figure out the boat.

Any idea why White Manta is priced so much lower than Blue Manta? Maybe because it’s a new boat and hasn’t built buzz/reputation yet? Or do they offer a more budget level of amenities and experience?

@scubaNYC16 told me the prices on White Manta are cheaper than Blue Manta and almost the same boat but newer, is because they sold their older boat and this one took over the schedule and they’re keeping the prices like that for a while. So, take advantage of that before they raise the prices. :)

It’s too bad that there’s no 11-day trip on its RA schedule all the way to Feb 2022, otherwise We would have picked this newer boat.

I know this topic has been discussed to death, but I have a fairly specific question, so hopefully this merits a thread.

I am planning way ahead for a Raja Ampat liveaboard in late 2021 or early 2022. I will have extra vacation time that year, and since I don't know when else I'll have the opportunity to take such an extended dive trip without my wife and kid, or how long the reefs will survive, I figure I should see the best there is to see.

I've read all the threads I could find and done a whole lot of research. My criteria are:
  • Only considering boats where I can get a cabin on the main deck or above (I get claustrophobic and am not comfortable sleeping below deck)
  • Ideally 9+ nights
  • Mainly focusing on mid-range boats - ideally $400-500/night, could go a little higher if worth it
Based on that research, I've narrowed it down to Tambora I (haven't announced their 2022 schedule yet), Amira, Blue Manta, White Manta, and Mermaid I.

Right now, Amira and Tambora are looking like the best bets - they both offer 11 or 12-night itineraries that are comfortably in my price range. However, I know that folks on this board absolutely love Blue Manta and Mermaid, so I'm considering those as well which would push my budget a bit but still be possible.

My questions:
  • Blue Manta is definitely stretching my price range at $550/night for their 10-night trip. However, their White Manta boat is much, much cheaper - around $470/night. The boats sound very similar. I would love any insight as to why the price would be so much lower - it's tempting but raises a bit of a red flag for me.
  • Mermaid I only offers 9-night Raja Ampat trips, shorter than the 10, 11, and 12-night options on the other boats I'm considering. Is Mermaid such a great operation that I might have a better experience diving fewer days with them, vs more days with these other boats? I figure I should go for more days if I have the time and budget, and eliminate this option for that reason, but curious what others think.
  • Overall - I'm curious if it's worth stretching my budget for a higher end Blue Manta/Mermaid trip vs the more affordable Amira/Tambora options.
You might see about doing back to back trips. That's what I always do.

Is the cheaper boat on a cheaper itinerary?

I know this topic has been discussed to death, but I have a fairly specific question, so hopefully this merits a thread.

I am planning way ahead for a Raja Ampat liveaboard in late 2021 or early 2022. I will have extra vacation time that year, and since I don't know when else I'll have the opportunity to take such an extended dive trip without my wife and kid, or how long the reefs will survive, I figure I should see the best there is to see.

I've read all the threads I could find and done a whole lot of research. My criteria are:
  • Only considering boats where I can get a cabin on the main deck or above (I get claustrophobic and am not comfortable sleeping below deck)
  • Ideally 9+ nights
  • Mainly focusing on mid-range boats - ideally $400-500/night, could go a little higher if worth it
Based on that research, I've narrowed it down to Tambora I (haven't announced their 2022 schedule yet), Amira, Blue Manta, White Manta, and Mermaid I.

Right now, Amira and Tambora are looking like the best bets - they both offer 11 or 12-night itineraries that are comfortably in my price range. However, I know that folks on this board absolutely love Blue Manta and Mermaid, so I'm considering those as well which would push my budget a bit but still be possible.

My questions:
  • Blue Manta is definitely stretching my price range at $550/night for their 10-night trip. However, their White Manta boat is much, much cheaper - around $470/night. The boats sound very similar. I would love any insight as to why the price would be so much lower - it's tempting but raises a bit of a red flag for me.
  • Mermaid I only offers 9-night Raja Ampat trips, shorter than the 10, 11, and 12-night options on the other boats I'm considering. Is Mermaid such a great operation that I might have a better experience diving fewer days with them, vs more days with these other boats? I figure I should go for more days if I have the time and budget, and eliminate this option for that reason, but curious what others think.
  • Overall - I'm curious if it's worth stretching my budget for a higher end Blue Manta/Mermaid trip vs the more affordable Amira/Tambora options.

As Dan mentioned, White Manta is cheaper than BM because they sold an older boat and took over the schedule. I got this information directly from the company because I was also curious why the prices were lower when the boat is much newer and nicer. Blue Manta is amazing and White Manta should be even better. Can’t beat their single supplement price.

Raja Manta was sold and their bookings were transferred to White Manta. Some crew from Raja Manta, but not all (notably Chris the Raja Manta cruise director), joined White Manta. DGs from RM who joined WM include Anto and Eme.

I’m on WM now and I personally prefer BM over WM, but others may have a different preference. Both are pretty similar and both are a notch up from RM.

Raja Manta was sold and their bookings were transferred to White Manta. Some crew from Raja Manta, but not all (notably Chris the Raja Manta cruise director), joined White Manta. DGs from RM who joined WM include Anto and Eme.

I’m on WM now and I personally prefer BM over WM, but others may have a different preference. Both are pretty similar and both are a notch up from RM.

Just curious why do you like BM better than WM?

What do you like better and what do you think are the biggest differences? Was on BM Komodo in August and going back on BM to Raja over Xmas but got my eye on WM for other trips. I asked the company about the differences and this is what they said:

Both Vessels are of near identical quality, with the comfort & level of service are in line with that found on our Blue Manta. The main difference in price largely reflects that the New White Manta is a newly launched vessel, taking over the schedules of our older KM Raja Manta which has now been sold & and is now under new management (from January 2020). Because of this we have kept the prices similar or very close to those offered on our Raja Manta while introducing her to our direct guests & agents. Prices will change in the coming years to reflect nearer the KM Blue Manta. The KM Blue Manta takes up to 22 guests and the New White Manta up to 24 guests.

The food served on both boats is of the same quality with a mixture of buffet style & A La Carte meals. There are differences, for example on the Blue Manta there is more space on the dive deck and each diver has individual rinse tanks whereas the New White Manta has less space and 2x large tubs for communal rinsing of gear.

The individual rinse tanks weren't filled on my trip but didn't really matter because they take such good care of your gear and rinse your wetsuit for you.

Reactions: Dan
Just curious why do you like BM better than WM?
Both boats are very similar in layout and dive organisation. But a LOB is not just a boat. I happen to personally like the staff in the BM more. I’m sure there will be others who will prefer the staff on the WM. They are both good, and I’m booked for both later in the year.

Back
Top Bottom