yet another Cozumel question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillM64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been reading really great trip reports from folks recently about their experiences in Cozumel.

Wonder if anyone has experience doing this. I was considering staying at Wyndham or Scuba Club for convenience and price, but would love to do more diving in the afternoon and not just the house reef. I've looked at the really useful spreadsheet of dive OPs that was published, but wanted to hear if someone had this experience. My fantasy would be that I do my two-tank resort dives and then get picked up on the dock by another operator for two afternoon dives.

Doable? Done? How did it work out?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I'm a total Cozumel newbie.

Its easily doable to get picked up by another operator. Give a shout to Salty Endeavors as I know they pick up from that dock. But I am sure a few are more than willing to come grab you. My bet is 2 shore dives at the same spot over a few days and you might get bored. Many operators will give you better deals with the more dives that you do, and many can offer 4 dives a day.

I found that going through some travel agents and an operator separately can often give a better deal that through the combo packages.

Is there a travel agent you would recommend?

Get a hold of Cathy at Dive Connector Cozumel on Facebook. She can facilitate some options for you.

For an afternoon dive with crazy easy logistics and a crazy new concept, consider Scuba Hunt- it a dive challenge game, kind of a mashup between scavenger hunt and labyrinth.

They offer dives every 45 min 10a-5p, so whatever your schedule, you can squeeze in a dive with them.
They are located in town at Hemingways not far from Wyndham or Scuba Club and the dive site is just a 2 min boat ride away. So, the whole activity takes under 2 hrs. Plus its a shallow 19 ft max dive, so won't mess up your nitrogen.

Have great trip.

Tres Pelicanos does afternoon dives as long as they have the requisite 4 (I think?) divers. You could meet them at the marina OR arrange to have your morning operator drop you at Money Bar and have lunch, with the arrangement that 3P's would pick you up there.

The other option would be to book the whole day you want 4 dives with the outside operator that has confirmed afternoon dives. Then you would not have to shuffle or worry about missing the boat.

Good luck, and make sure to do a trip report when you get back. Enjoy

My fantasy would be that I do my two-tank resort dives and then get picked up on the dock by another operator for two afternoon dives.
Then the fantasy becomes something else - the afternoon op takes you to the same sites as the morning op!! Just kidding....maybe. Where you stay doesn't mean you will dive a house reef - all of the ops will go south to the marine park in the morning (unless you happen to get on a boat where they're doing something special.)
The other option would be to book the whole day you want 4 dives with the outside operator that has confirmed afternoon dives. Then you would not have to shuffle or worry about missing the boat.
Agree.

Best thing to do is make contact with different ops once you know where you're staying and which piers/docks are close. Then the op can let you know if they will pick up from them.

Back
Top Bottom