Yet again, another reason....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Had some cold water issues a few weeks ago, and realized the IP was set too high on my regs (IP @ 150). Finally got around to adjusting them. These were last serviced by a shop (to remain nameless as it could be one of two or three) a number of years ago, and were being used very infrequently. Since they are diaphragms, it merely requires removing the cap, diaphragm, and transmitter to get to the adjuster. First one was simple. Opened the second one, and WTF???? The whole thing was put together upside down! Had to remove the ambient chamber, and re-assemble....

I mean, how hard is it to look at a schematic?

And we pay for this? Thankfully, I've stopped using shop service...

I often worry about some natural disaster occurring or going to the hospital, often there is this blind faith that the "professionals" know what they are doing, it has been my experience many times, including getting regs serviced, that this is most definitely not the case. If you want it done right DIY, no one cares as much about you or your stuff than you. Sad but true, too cynical? Guess I better get some medical training my body is in steady decline...

To be fair, I have met some very competent reg techs. The other was the Scubapro tech who claimed the the yoke/din retainer recall was just a matter of changing the saddle. And the one who adjusted the lock nut in the wrong direction to correct a hard breathing air2. DIY and you will always know who to blame.

Back
Top Bottom