Yesterday I feel I got lucky.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glad you made---but please don't tell me you passed, I'd go for another 'round' of training...

First of all, I hope it turns out that you are OK.
However, that said, even your posts are confusing and contradictory.
How can you not even know whether the dive in question was for OW, or AOW.
WHO was your BUDDY?!?!?! Where were they when you bolted, and then violated every safety rule you were or should have been taught?
What discussion did you have with your instructor and/or your buddy afterwards?
Why would you put yourself and your buddy at risk continuing to dive when you knew your lungs hurt???
Just sitting here shaking my head.

Welcome, glad to hear you are okay. Lots of great advice already given by some great divers. You were very, very lucky.

I wanted to pat you on the back specifically for coming here and for sharing your story. You've begun your first accident analysis. It's hard to admit that you made mistakes, but it's imperative for learning.

I understand the desire to get those cards and do all the things the more experienced divers are doing (I'm pretty new, too). Deeper, longer, in more adverse conditions! Many people (friends, DM's, even instructors) are going to suggest/invite you to do a variety of things.

But it's YOU, and only YOU, who truly has an understanding of where you are at and what you need. Each of our paths is different. And whatever it is you need, you need to make sure you get it. Don't think that just because someone suggests it, that it's appropriate for you.

[What sucks is that some instruction fails to impart to you enough even to really assess yourself in such a fashion! It's hard to know what you don't know when no one ever told you there's a lot you don't know. =-) ]

Chillax on the whole pursuit of the AOW. Just go dive for 10, 20 or 30 times! Spend some time working on buoyancy at 20 ft. Have some relaxing time under the water establishing a mastery of basic parts of the process. Search for critters. Spend entire dives practicing skills. Spend some time considering various things that might happen underwater and how you will react to them. Visualize them. Pack your brain with information so that once you avoid the panic reaction by establishing better water comfort, you can be ready to respond.

You should always know your air level. In the beginning I held my console in my hand, always. It kept my hand busy, and helped me remember to check frequently. In time you'll find that your checks coincide with what your brain is telling you to expect.

Also, realize that in almost all circumstances if you need air, the air your buddy (or another nearby diver) is carrying is going to be a hell of a lot closer than the surface. You likely knew this -- but the panic throws all that out the window. So...

Your primary task is to develop your water comfort and own mental strength and fortitude as it pertains to the water so that you do not panic. This is a key element of training I don't feel is stressed enough. You can have all the book knowledge in the world, but if you don't keep a calm, clear head when the sheeyat hits the fan, you'll never get the chance to use any of that knowledge.

Good luck with that... and enjoy the process. =-)

I was diving on our last open water test and we did a few things like flood the mask and etc and make the ahhh sound and etc. Right after that the Dive master waved for us to follow him.

Yes I got my OW card and my wife just corrected me it was our first dive of the AOW. I did not get that card because I did not want to do the 80 ft dive. I just didn't feel up to it because my lungs hurt when I breath. Though I did do one easy dive after all this last night and it was night dive that was lot fun but our max was 19' I am going to go see my doctor tomorrow morning and get checked out.

Was your AOW being done with the same dive op that you received your open water certificate from? Was the mask clearing and CESA (making the aaahhh sound) part of an evaluation before starting the skill portion of the class? Can you tell me what skill in your AOW the first dive was for? Was the night dive also part of your AOW?

Thank you for your post, Yhike. I am glad that you are okay.

I do have a few questions.

1. Where did this occur? In a lake? Ocean?

2. This was an Advanced level class, yes? What dive in the AOW series was this?

3. What agency? PADI?

4. When did you get your basic Open Water level certification? What agency? DID you have the same Instructor at OW that you had for Advanced?

5. If I may ask, how old are you?

6. When you surfaced, did your Instructor surface with you?

I was diving on our last open water test and we did a few things like flood the mask and etc and make the ahhh sound and etc. Right after that the Dive master waved for us to follow him. I was in a group of 6 but the visibility was very poor I could could barley see the guys fins in front of me. I did something dumb I check to see how far we were under it said 48' but I did not look at my Air pressure. I could feel the air getting harder to breath and I panic. I started swimming as fast I could to the surface hoping I was going to make it. I spit out my regulator about 15th, sucked in water and somehow I still managed to make it to the top.

I learned a lot things yesterday and everything I did was example of what not to do. I was going to dive today to get past fear but my lungs hurt like someone took a hammer to them. I am guessing it's because of me holding my breath.

Like everyone else, I'm glad you made it to the surface. Take the advice and call DAN. I too believe they will refer you to a doctor, and you should go. I know you learned a few lessons, and that's good. But you still did things that were very dangerous. I know you realize that.

WHY did you spit the regulator out? Note the post on ambient air being in your tank. You may certainly have a few breaths left at 15 feet vs 48 feet. NEVER spit your reg. There is nothing to breathe under water without a regulator. You could have easily drowned.

It sounds very reasonable that didn't exhale during your complete paniced assent. AGE can happen in about 4-5 feet of assent, so you need to get checked. Don't hesitate. I'm sure you didn't vent your BCD on your emergency accent, so that might have put a lot of pressure on your chest too.

Six new students in very limited vis conditions is not really the best idea of your Divemaster. At a minimum, with six new students, a trained professional should be leading the dive, and another should be diving behind the group of students.

Was this your basic class or your AOW? I thought I saw a post mentioning it was an AOW. But I don't get that idea from your OP.

Here is a thought to think about. I always dive with a lanyard on my SPG. I can just look down and see my remaining air in my tank(s) at a moments glance. I also have a neck lanyard on my octopus, so I can grab it in a secound, for myself (if there was the unlikely event of a primary second stage regulator failure), or if a buddy needs it, or someone takes your primary from you (it can happen).

You say your tank was getting hard to breathe. Was your valve completely on? Or was it only partially open? Did you do a good buddy check with each other?

I hope your instructor had a discussion with you after all of this. I also hope the Divemaster brought it to the instructor's attention. You may need a few more pool sessions to get comfortable. Did they sign off on your certification? I would like to know.

Once again, glad you are here to talk about your experience. Go get checked out by a doctor, and have a conversation with your instructor. If you need a little one on one before you get comfortable, they should offer this. Safe Diving.

I ended up going to the doctor last night and everything checked out fine. Sitting back and thinking about the dive I new better than spit the regulator out. I don't think I did it on purpose I just don't remember. As far getting air from my buddy I could barley see the person in front of me I signal out of air but I don't think they could see me the person looked right at me but kept swimming. I honestly think the visibility was too poor.

I blame myself for not looking at my air. Its something I will never forget again I promise that. I just got caught up in the dive and was more focused on keeping my eye on the fins in front of me.

Nobody in my group even noticed I left for the surface and the instructor seem to think it was no big deal

I ended up going to the doctor last night and everything checked out fine.

That is excellent - glad to hear that you went to see a physician, and I am very glad to hear that you check out. If you have a minute you might still want to call DAN, especially if you still have symptoms - diving injuries can go undiagnosed if the physician doesn't have experience with diving-related injuries. Call them. It is free.

I hope that my previous post wasn't too negative. However, I really would like to know if you had a weekend course and if you feel comfortable in the water. If you choose not to post a reply - that is fine. But answer to yourself. If the answers are "yes" and "no" (respectively), you should look into doing a further cert somewhere else or look into some dive mentoring.

Yes I feel alright in the water. Do I want more training with out questions. I was not doing the AOL to get a card. I really careless about that. I just wanted as much experience as I could before we go to Cozumel. I will not name the dive center I have nothing but good things to say about the Dive Center and would not want to ruin their name.

Now if you ask about the Dive Master I would say he was more of Rambo type and I think he is good scuba diver and I think he should not be teaching. After looking back some of his choices put me and others in danger.

However, I really would like to know if you had a weekend course and if you feel comfortable in the water.

Yes I feel alright in the water.

Your choice to answer question #2 and avoid question #1 leads me to believe that you got your card in two to three days. You are now undoubtedly aware of the problems of this approach. I suspect that you do feel "alright in the water" but may not be comfortable in the water. At this point you should PM some more experienced SB members for advice (you can PM me and I can send you a few suggestions) - they will have better advice than me.

Back
Top Bottom