"Yes, we have no bananas.."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are great ideas. I knew I could count on you guys.
I've never had bananas before this year. (Only moved to this house 6 months ago).

My neighbors have Pear trees..from what I can see from my yard..but maybe I can pass some bananas off on them. :wink:

I like the idea of drying them. Great idea.
Baking them too..yum
And fritters..wow.. I need to get busy huh?

Problem with bananananana trees is that they all seem to get bananas on them at the same time! The last thing a tree does before dying is produce fruit. I cut the bananas off (the whole stalk) and hang them inside to ripen. Then if you haven't noticed, the tree has sent out some babies to replace the mature one. Cut it down at the base. As the bananas ripen, the main trunk dies and sometimes the weight of the bananas will topple the tree. The other thing is when the stalk is first growing, when it no longer is producing the fruit, cut the bulb at the end off. This will force the nutrients into the bananas instead of that bulb.
Enjoy! I love fresh bananas!

Harry Chapin did a song years ago about a truck driver hauling 30,000 pounds of bananas down a hill into a small town in Pennsylvania when he loses his brakes...

Is there a zoo nearby? Maybe they could find a use for the fruit. This summer, we enviously watched bananas ripen on a tree (if that's what it is called) on the property next to our office...I didn't think it could produce fruit here...

You could also make what is IMHO the best dessert ever, Bananas Foster. Here is the recipe from Commander's Palace, the restaurant in New Orleans that created this gem:

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced lengthwise
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons banana liqueur
  • 3 ounces light or dark rum
  • 1 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream
Melt butter in a flat chafing dish or skillet. Add brown sugar and stir until sugar is melted. Add bananas and saute until tender, about 3 minutes on each side. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Pour banana liqueur and rum over bananas, shake pan to distribute the liquid and flame. Baste bananas with the flaming sauce until flames die out. Serve immediately over ice cream.

Make banana wine?....

We grew about 30 tomato plants a couple of years ago, it was the first time we had grown them and we thought that 30 was about right, we where getting about 5 pounds of tomatoes a day from them, someone suggested making wine from them so we did, it was awful the worst thing I have ever drunk (apart from Pernod obviously).

Er no on second thoughts don't bother.

that scuba board isn't the best board on the Internet!
You guys are so awesome!

Freeflyer: your post was the first one I saw when I signed in today! I can't beleive you found the words and music. Brings back childhood memories of my mom singing it. My mom thinks Eddie Cantor made it famous.
Jenny:
Your info was so so valuable to me! I went out and cut off the red bulb. So now before the rest turn yellow, they will get the benefit of the nutrients?

WileEDiver:
Wow what a find! I love Bananas Foster. Can't wait to make it.

There is a zoo about 35 miles away. But, I think my neighbors will take some, and drying them should last a long time.
I should say I have 2 more trees, but no bananas ever showed up, so I only count the three with the fruit.
My Mom took some pics of them last time she was here. I'll have to see if I can get them, and post them.

Thanks to all the banana lovers out there!

Natasha once bubbled...
My neighbors have Pear trees..from what I can see from my yard..but maybe I can pass some bananas off on them. :wink:

Hmmm....did somebody say FRUIT SALAD?? Or how about banana splits?? Which reminds me of my favorite banana song...

Tra la la tra la la la
Tra la la tra la la la
Tra la la tra la la la
Tra la la tra la la la

One banana, two banana, three banana, four
All bananas make a split so do many more
Over hill and highway the banana buggies go
Come along to bring you THE BANANA SPLITS SHOW

Four banana, three banana, two banana, one
All bananas playing in the bright warm sun
Flipping like a pancake, popping like a cork
Fleagle, Bingo, Drooper and Snork