Yes. I need a vibrating-alarm computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It saddens me to see nonsense like this.
Haptics are a huge addition to safety.

I gave up my Atomic Cobalt 2 because it had a couple of alarms that could NOT be silenced.

Years ago I'm in Bonaire at the end of a great dive, not wanting to get back on the boat with 700psi. So I'm noodling around the dive boat in 12-30 feet of water for 20 minutes, and EVERY time I crossed over the safety stop threshold, the alarm beeps. And when I'm at 13' looking at critters, but below 400psi, the alarm beeps and cannot be silenced! Everybody's looking over at me wondering what my problem was.

Now tell me, what did I do "wrong"?

I bought Shearwater and now have five, between my wife and CCR.

It’s not haptics. It’s alarms period.

I am purely a rec diver. Warm water. Light breezes. But I am active and have dived probably 100 dives since retiring 13 months ago. I am hard of hearing and do not hear alarms underwater. Heck, I don't even hear my partner banging his tank. But knowing this makes me much more visually acute when diving; and I keep in good contact with a buddy. When I returned to diving I borrowed a computer from my LDS and I found that I could not hear alarms (even thought the rest of the divers could!). Please, I don't want to trigger a debate about alarms.
Get a Ratio iX3M 2 Pro. They are great computers and have always had a vibrating alarm. It does air, nitrox and 3 gases. A Shearwater Perdix 2 is way over kill unless you plan on diving trimix or plan on getting a rebreather. If you do go that route the Ratio can be upgraded later on without having to buy a new computer.

Agreed - I hate audible alarms as no one typically knows where they are coming from (including the person wearing the offending DC in many cases).

However, I love the haptic (vibration) feedback on my Teric (and just-added Perdix 2). Getting that subtle feedback that the computers are working as I descend and that my SS has started without even looking at them is nice.

Getting a vibration alert on low NDL, or reserve pressure is helpful too - while I check my computer for those things throughout the dive, the proactive feedback is nice to have as a backup in case one gets distracted for some reason.

I gave up my Atomic Cobalt 2 because it had a couple of alarms that could NOT be silenced.

Years ago I'm in Bonaire at the end of a great dive, not wanting to get back on the boat with 700psi. So I'm noodling around the dive boat in 12-30 feet of water for 20 minutes, and EVERY time I crossed over the safety stop threshold, the alarm beeps. And when I'm at 13' looking at critters, but below 400psi, the alarm beeps and cannot be silenced! Everybody's looking over at me wondering what my problem was.

Now tell me, what did I do "wrong"?

I bought Shearwater and now have five, between my wife and CCR.

Humans do not accomplish repetitive boring tasks completely reliably. Alarms help that.
Cockpit instrument scans have to be literally drilled into new pilots. How much harder for a recreational diver mesmerized by beauty. Yeah, he should, but he doesn't. Not every single time.
My reading between the lines is that they are not watching the instrument panel and waiting until there is an alarm then react to it.

When you fly you don't expect to set off alarms. But when things go wrong it is good that they are there. Alarms are not bad, but I am reading that the OP is using them a lot more than they should be.

My reading between the lines is that they are not watching the instrument panel and waiting until there is an alarm then react to it.

When you fly you don't expect to set off alarms. But when things go wrong it is good that they are there. Alarms are not bad, but I am reading that the OP is using them a lot more than they should be.
I think you have to work on your reading (between the lines) skills.

I have a dislike for audible alarms. They are annoying to other divers, and hard to pinpoint underwater. That usually means that the diver with the alarm going off usually has no clue. Haptic alarms are fine. They are usually only noticed by the diver wearing the computer that is in alarm mode.

There is a difference between having alarms set and having the alarms go off on every dive. If the latter is happening, then either the diver is not paying attention, or there are alarms set unnecessarily.

Can anyone recommend a different AI computer that meets my needs - full-size, not-rechargeable, easy battery replacement by user, strong alarm vibrate, good legibility, probably wrist console.

Ratio Dive Computer New iX3M 2 Our Best Dive Computer yet

Also, check this post:

This computer from Ratio has all of the features you'd need, and even more, with BEST pricing. You can also upgrade the software to a more advanced version by paying a license fee without throwing away the computer and buying a new one should you decide you want to go the technical diving route later. As is, it has all the feature you can possibly want or need as a recreational diver at all levels. You can also buy a transmitter for the computer to monitor your tank gas pressure. The screen is awesome and VERY readable. I need reading glasses but I don't need them with this computer. I can also read it in very bright sunlight no issues. In terms of vibrating alarms, this company actually invented this feature in dive computers first and all others copied it. It works great and is customizable.

The battery is rechargeable however. The battery lifetime is around 10 years and is dealer/distributor replaceable (in 10 years). A single charge lasts me around 20 hours of actual dive time but I usually recharge it every few dives. You can connect the computer to a phone or laptop via a USB cable or Bluetooth to download your log or update the firmware in the dive computer.

It is much less money than the Shearwater dive computer including the transmitter.

The vibration is very strong and I can feel it with 7mm suit and drysuit.

Check this PDF for more information:

Attachments

• EN_iX3M2.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 63
Can anyone recommend a different AI computer that meets my needs - full-size, not-rechargeable, easy battery replacement by user, strong alarm vibrate, good legibility, probably wrist console.
Thanks.
This computer from Ratio has all of the features you want

The battery is rechargeable however.

So… the Ratio actually does NOT have ALL of the features the OP wants!

So… the Ratio actually does NOT have ALL of the features the OP wants!
Thank you so much for your vigilance and observation. My reply was amended. Part of it was c&p from another post.

Thank you once again for you kind help. I hope that you are having a great 4th of July diving somewhere awesome!

I almost pressed my off switch yesterday.
I turned my rebreather on for the first time in weeks. Low battery warning.
Before I have the chance to turn it off and change batteries it goes away. I assume it was some weird error as it's showing ok voltage now.
I prebreath it, make sure the solenoid is firing and start adjusting the harness, clip on the stage and walk to the water over some rocks, alone. This is taking about 10 minutes of me being very task loaded with trying to not fall on my face.
It takes me another 5 minutes to get over the rocks and I start getting lightheaded as I'm standing hip deep in water, getting ready to put on my fins, best to describe it is that my brain feels velvety.
Now I'm a freediver, I know full well that's not a good thing. I spat out the loop and took a couple of deep breaths, FINALY check my pO2.
0.05, as far as I know that's not really breathable, yay freediving training, probably a good idea to do more rebreather training.
Battery died, solenoid did not fire and due to strong sunlight I could not see my HUD blinking red.
If I died it would have 100% been user error, my rebreather told me not to dive and I did not check my po2 just because I was busy being dumb.
If I had a Petrel 3 I would have figured out something was wrong 5 minutes earlier when my pO2 was at a safe 0.2.
Anyway, I'm getting a Petrel 3 and I don't care if the sound and haptic alarms annoy my non existing dive buddies.

Back
Top Bottom