Yes another one of those questions but alas the players change - Good Whale shark Op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Will be heading to Cancun (and Coz) in July/Aug and would like to snorkel with the Whale Sharks. A couple of questions.

1. Dont want to turn it into an all day affair and I understand that the Isla Mujeres area is as good as Holbox but a lot closer - is that true?
2. Any recs for a safe Dive op with experience in the whale shark area - looking for someone with a good rep who has done this for a while and is also reasonably priced

Thanks

Craig

I can give you a jump start on the research/replies. Isla Mujeres seems to be as good as holbox, if not a touch better. However, it's still a mostly all day trip. From cancun, typical excursions run from 7am to 2-3pm. You get snorkeling with the sharks plus a reef snorkel. From Coz, you're toast - better to crash in Cancun or Isla the night before unless you plan on a night dive afterward and take a long nap in between.

I haven't been yet (see poll thread :) ), but will be posting a review when I get back around July 1ish.

Hello Craig, my name is Alvaro Gonzalez, I run Alwaysdiving in Cancun, we´ve been operating all kind of water activities for over 32 years in the mexican caribbean, we do have the whale sharks tours, with us you´ll take one of the fastest boats in this area, that give us a chance to make this activity from 7:00 am to 2:30 pm, so you don´t have to expend all day long to enjoy this amazing creatures.
Of course we do scuba diving as well, we believe in make friends not costumers, please contact us to give us a chance to should you why we have a very good reputation in this forum.
Best regards from the paradise.
Alvaro

Hi Craig, how is going?
I would suggest you to go to Isla Mujeres instead Isla Holbox, I´ve been in both and consider that in the first the water is more clear and we saw much more whale sharks there. Besides that, is closer than Holbox, starting at 7 am to finish around 2-3 pm.
I usually work with Ocean Tour, very professional and very organized.

Best regards.

Craig,
If you require information from a direct operator/owner of a 14 customized fleet of boats that has been providing the Whale Shark Snorkel service since 2004 (our experience operating diving is 20 years) that permits were accessible for operators from Cancun (prior to this we used to work only from Isla Mujeres) we are at your service.
Our operation is in Puerto Juarez (north of the Ferry stations) and 15 to 30mins away from Cancun´s hotel zone (depending on which hotel).
There is no way to assure a time back to our dock (departure 8am) because it sometimes takes longer to find the migration, at times on the way back we stop to snorkel by Mantas or coral reefs, so it is not a rushed day, when we began this season we were coming back at 3 to 330pm, but now since the migration has moved to Agua Azul, and closer we have been coming back between 2 to 3pm but there are no assurances of this and no one really can promise a time.
Being the direct operator we can quote the best prices in town for the best service.
If we may be of service, visit the website and shoot us an email
hope this info was useful

Hi Craig! Man, so jealous that you get to go to Mexico. My wife and I went there for our honeymoon back in March. AMAZING!!! You won't wanna leave. We went diving with Alvaro and I can't recommend him enough! After 5 years of diving, I have never had a better diving experience, and he really knows all the best places to go, and gives the most personalized dive service one could hope for. He'll take better care of you than any 5 star hotel concierge and you'll have made a valuable friend in the process. Trust me, go with Alvaro. Just be careful, you'll have so much fun that you'll want to book more dives. Hehe. Enjoy Mexico! Hope you post up some photos from your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom