Yemen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christian & Abuk, just got back to the thread..... I will be contacting you guys when I can get to that part of the world, it's off to PNG for my next big trip. Tks for the info on your postings.

Hiya Christian,

Here goes a mammoth post. Read some great articles by Erik tat were published in the ARAMCO magazine, especially about sharks, they are available on line.

As far as I know the waters round Jeddah are not deep, but then again decent, up to date charts are not availalble. Deepest waters I have encountered in the immediate vicinity are around the Ms Mary reef, location of at least 4 wrecks, with the 5th, apparently of the reef's namesake, lying below 60m. This was the one place sharks could be guaranteed, silkies in particular. I do not know what the max depth here is (at 60 all you can see is deep blue) but would hazard a guess at below 100m. I say was as the area is now off limits since a certain dive operator was rumoured to have killed at least 1 silky.

Yenbu is a whole different ballgame. I have heard the water there is well in excess of 300m deep, though again would love to have this verified. We tend to dive approx 15nm from the industrial port, my favouite site being Abu Qalawa (father of the lagoon) which has a '7 mile' reef, a beautiful lagoon at one end withg a drop off a 30m that descends to approx 100m. I was diving this reef on Thursday & Friday (instead of the anticipated Umm Lujj). First dive thurs saw 3 silver tips and 4 grey reefs. First dive friday saw 8 hammerheads at 40 and below following the clear leader which was easily 3m+, I avoided the 2 grey and 2 silkies on the ascent and ran into a pack (or is it school) of barracuda, at least 150 and large!

My favourite dive stes here are in the north as it seems to avoid most of the pollution. Other than Jeddah and Yenbu the coast is sparsely populated. Haql and Magna have apparently excxellent diving but I have yet to make it there - dive tourism outside the main centres is very difficult to sort out, even spekaing Arabic, harder still if one has a lady as a dive buddy! Saudi's time as a major cwentre for dive tourism is someway off, but once it kicks in I strongly recemmend it

Every time I go boat diving up north I have very high preconceptions despite telling myself this is a surefire route to disappointment, I have yet to return in any other state than blissful elation!

Hey Christian, I really would appreciate if you could share any good info you get, especially if you go dive in Yemen waters. It is one of the places I have wanted to go visit for a long time.

many thanks,
Maria
Hi, I am an Arbic diver and orginally from ADEN south Yemen I was dive in Gulf of Aden and there are several beutifull and wenderfull life in Aden and in Lettel ADEN, I would like to back to Aden and open SCUBA dive club there but I need support from other divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom