Yellow stingrays and tail loss..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wondering if anyone knows anything, or has seen this.
I have done 2 dives in separate locations, about 3 miles apart from one another. Each dive I have seen a yellow stingray missing it's tail / stinger.
I'm assuming it was attacked by something?
I was also considering the low chance that they lost their tails during the rough seas last weekend?
If their tail was bittten off, the 'biter' bit the wrong end :buggy:

Just wondering if anyone knows anything, or has seen this.
I have done 2 dives in separate locations, about 3 miles apart from one another. Each dive I have seen a yellow stingray missing it's tail / stinger.
I'm assuming it was attacked by something?
I was also considering the low chance that they lost their tails during the rough seas last weekend?
If their tail was bittten off, the 'biter' bit the wrong end :buggy:

Rays do not lose their tails in rough seas. Most likely predators are sharks. They also bite each other during "not fighting" season, which isn't until spring. But I'm not sure if once bitten the tail ever grows back, so the injury could be old.

I saw a samll stingray at BHB with no tail 2-3 weeks ago. It looked like a swimming dinner plate

I saw a samll stingray at BHB with no tail 2-3 weeks ago. It looked like a swimming dinner plate

Oh, I have yet to see the illusive samll stingray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom