Yearly computer service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My computer is a console with a QD feature. The QD has o-rings which need to be replaced/serviced, though I'm not sure that annually would be necessary. I've had my computer for nearly 4 years and just had the o-ring replaced, but only because a friend of mine had an o-ring failure on our liveaboard trip this summer and his computer was as old as mine.

My computer is a console with a QD feature. The QD has o-rings which need to be replaced/serviced, though I'm not sure that annually would be necessary. I've had my computer for nearly 4 years and just had the o-ring replaced, but only because a friend of mine had an o-ring failure on our liveaboard trip this summer and his computer was as old as mine.
The service tech that does my regulators routinely checks and/or replaces the spool and o-rings of the SPG -- included as part of the reg service. You could probably have your reg tech do the same for your quick disconnect.

I took my computer in to the LDS a year after I first bought it and asked about service. They looked at me like I had grown a third eye or something. :D If the majority of respondents to that survey actually said they get their computers serviced annually, they are definitely NOT a representative sample.

Replace the battery before it becomes a problem. Check the depth accuracy periodicically, either using a known divesite or other computers/depth gauges. End of story.

The service tech that does my regulators routinely checks and/or replaces the spool and o-rings of the SPG -- included as part of the reg service. You could probably have your reg tech do the same for your quick disconnect.QUOTE]

Yes this is true, however there is also an o-ring on the connection side on the computer that needs to be changed periodically as well, and that's the one I'm referring to.

The service tech that does my regulators routinely checks and/or replaces the spool and o-rings of the SPG -- included as part of the reg service. You could probably have your reg tech do the same for your quick disconnect.QUOTE]

Yes this is true, however there is also an o-ring on the connection side on the computer that needs to be changed periodically as well, and that's the one I'm referring to.

Yep, went through this about 6 months ago. I was examining mine with a high
powered magnifying glass prior to a 3 week dive trip and noticed some small
abrasions on this tiny o-ring inside the computer QD. (had about 150 dives on it)
Took it over to ScubaToys where I bought the computer (Aeris AI) and they
got out the dental tool and replaced it for me right there at no charge.
Took maybe 3-5 minutes to do both mine as well as my wifes.
Even gave me a couple of spares that I now keep in my save a dive kit.

ST checks/replaces the o-rings on the QD on the high pressure hose as part
of the annual service on regs.

--- bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom