Yearly computer service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The new issue of Alert Diver talks about using computers and some of the advantages, disadvantages, and problems divers reported based on a small survey. It said that a majority of the respondents had their computer serviced annually. I have never done this because I cannot think of anything a shop would check that I could not do on my own (except maybe checking the accuracy of the depth reading, which I don't think my shop does anyway). What does an "annual service" do that I cannot? The same question goes for the "annual service" on a BC, for that matter. I can look to see if there is something wrong just as well as anyone.

When I asked my shop about this they said all they would really do would be to check/replace the battery...

When I asked my shop about this they said all they would really do would be to check/replace the battery...
Now that sounds like something worth paying 25 bucks plus the cost of the battery for :shakehead:

Many writers for publications are not qualified, but present themsevles as experts. This is just not the Scuba industry, but systemic. So just because its in print, don't believe it.

I would do a reality check on my computer - check it against your dive buddy - should be close. I would also replace the battery before it dies.

On a BC, I would check some basics every dive outing (hose attachments, strap wear) and after a dive on occasion, inflate fully after cleaning and leave it overnight to check for leaks.

Well I had asked if I needed to have it serviced annually, and they said all they would really do would be check/replace the battery, i.e. no you do not need to have it serviced annually. I know some shops that would have said, "Yes, yes you do" then checked the battery and handed me a bill.

Yearly BCD and Computer "check-ups" are just a easy way for your LDS to make a buck...if you rinse/store you gear properly and check it before diving all you will need for those two items is a battery replacement for the computer when it needs it.

Cheers.

-J.-

I get neither my BC nor my computer "serviced" annually, or otherwise. But of the two, there's far more value in the BC servicing, especially if you are not so good about cleaning it after dives. There are a number of moving parts and soft parts, plus the bladder needs to be periodically cleaned with a disinfectant.

Computers cannot be "calibrated" so if it's reading wrong all they can do is send it back to the manufacturer. The only effective way to check it's functionality is to use it, and you do that when you dive. You can change the battery yourself if they are user-replaceable.

Opening up a computer that works fine and doesn't need the battery changed seems more likely to cause a problem than letting well enough alone.

And I have never gotten a BC "serviced" in 17 years unless there was something specific wrong, and there's not much to go wrong if you take reasonable care of it.

Yearly BCD and Computer "check-ups" are just a easy way for your LDS to make a buck...if you rinse/store you gear properly and check it before diving all you will need for those two items is a battery replacement for the computer when it needs it.

Cheers.

-J.-

Yes, that's what I figured too. When I bought a computer I specifically looked for one that I could open and change the battery myself.

The only time I have my computers checked is when they are not functioning properly. Unfortunately my former primary computer can only be checked by the manufacturer since it has no diver or LDS serviceable parts, and I couldn't have it out of my hands for the 2-6 weeks it might take to get servicing on it.

Now that I have three computers (with thoughts of acquiring a fourth), at least I have plenty of backup should I need to send one in for servicing. However, I will still do so only when it is required. My LDS would never con someone into having their dive computer "serviced" annually... they are great people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom