Yay! Caught me a lobster!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobster75

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Last week I decided I wanted to try my hand at lobstering so I went and got the permit online and bought a dive bag, tickle stick, and measuring gauge. This past Saturday I got to try it out as a couple other people at the local shop's weekly free guided shore dives also wanted to go for bugs.

I caught my first lobster about 10 minutes into the first dive (of two) and was happy to see it was just legal. I swam over and signaled our dive leader, who had more experience, to double check it before I dropped it in my bag and he agreed it was good.

I have to admit, the whole process was a lot of fun. I had a blast hunting through the kelp and under the rocks to see if I could see an antenna or a claw or a tail. I was kind of nervous the first time I went to grab a lobster as I didn't want to get pinched and I know their range of motion is limited, but until you do something for the first time...... Now, they might be slow with their claws, but wow can they haul when they use their tail through open areas...

Caught about 4 or 5 more on the rest of dive 1 and during dive 2 but they weren't legal size so it was just catch and release. That was OK with me; I caught 1 good one and I was going to enjoy it when I got home with some lemon and butter :wink:

I've never been a huge fan of lobster because as a kid it seemed a bit rubbery. But the next day for lunch when we turned my catch into a stuffed lobster lunch, it wasn't rubbery at all. It was really fresh and tasty.

Just wanted to share another first with everyone else.

Great Fun...congratulation

Oh the perks of having lived on the Carribean for 6 months...Fresh lobster grilled right on the beach almost every night dive!!

Glad you had fun. It's addicting once you start and now that you know what fresh truly is, you won't want it any other way.

Sounds fun. Be careful of losing your buddy contact hunting bugs. I can imagine focusing on the hunt so much as to let that serious need slip. :wink:

Best lobster I ever had I caught myself.

mobster75:
I've never been a huge fan of lobster because as a kid it seemed a bit rubbery. But the next day for lunch when we turned my catch into a stuffed lobster lunch, it wasn't rubbery at all. It was really fresh and tasty.

If you overcook lobster it goes rubbery, and then no amount of cooking will make it tender.
Remember whatever time you cooked it for as that seems to be the magic number.

p.s. The same is true for squid, prawns, and I suspect a lot of other sea food.
:11ztongue

Poor lobsters. I'd love to catch them, but I'd also let them go. I'm no big fan of what they taste like anyway. Can't say that for the shrimps, though. They better run for their life in my presence. :grip_n_ri

Back
Top Bottom