Yapak, Boracay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mampsa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ey, guys

Heard bad reviews about this dive site. Are they true? I'm not sure if I should bring my equipment or just enjoy the beach.

Whats to see there? Whats the best time to dive to site? :)

Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS SB'ers!

Mampsa:
Ey, guys

Heard bad reviews about this dive site. Are they true? I'm not sure if I should bring my equipment or just enjoy the beach.

that's the general advise i get when asking about bora diving... "enjoy the beach"

it's not great diving especially for local divers who are spoiled on anilao, PG, bohol and apo

Jag

I can't fully agree with Boracay being so bad (apart from the "Makati-Crowd of wannabe actors and party people...but they only crowd the hotel rooms, not the dive sites since they are usually too hung over, too stoned or too scared of getting a tan...:)

Granted it is not Palau or even Panglao, but as a compromise dive area for people with non-diving attachments it is quite good.

Focus on the positive:

- Yapak II is one of the best thrill dives I have done in the Philippines
- the water is generally clear and due to the white sand quite ideal for beginners, photographers
- plenty of frogfish, Pygmy Seahorses, Spanish Dancers, occasional Turtles (I found myself missing even Boracay when I was in Phuket this year...talk about boring)
- nice night dive at Crocodile Is.
- wreck dive that is similar to other purpose-sunk wrecks
- it is not unusual to be the only customer wih a shop, sometimes the only diver under water

So if you are heading there ayway, go diving. If you have a choice in destination go to Panglao.

Spoon:
il be in bora on jan 4th but am lazy to lug all my gear to do mediocre dives.

snob... :wink: well take some party pics of that "Makati crowd" partying it up on Bora... :D

well, one can't have it all, not even tourist destinations. :).

but the sands of boracay and the choices of food still top the list. for all that itll be worth, mampz, if you want to just chill itll be worth it. :)

Mampsa:
Ey, guys

Don't listen to all these spoiled Pinoy divers. :D (let's face it....you do have some unreal diving) Yeah, there are better overall areas as far as wall diving etc...but Boracay has been pretty protected from fishermen (of the explosive type) for almost 20 years now and there is more marine life (if you like the little things) there than most of the places I've dived in the Philippines except for Tubattaha. I've gone all around to other islands around that area and found beautiful walls.....that looked like Hiroshima after the bomb.
Yapak 2 is as good as any site I've dived anywhere. The time to dive it is within 3 days or so either side of the full or new moon on a rising tide....which means between 7 am to 10 am or so. You won't be disappointed. When it's on, you drop into the blue 100 yard west of the wall and drift into it as you descend. First thing you'll see is the blue trigger fish hanging out off the wall and then the wall itself. When I lived and worked there I did it over 120 times and never....NEVER, got tired of it. The wall is 30 meters down so if you don't do any deco, you have about 20 minutes at best.
Do a trip to Maniguin while you're there too. It's about 2 hours south by boat and had great walls and if you're lucky, a big school of scalloped hammerheads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom