Yap Yap Hooray :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just came back from the Mantafest-week at Manta Ray Bay Resort & Yap Divers in Yap, Micronesia :: Home at Yap.
We had stunning encounters at the new cleaning station - i made 5 or 6 of my longest dives (of those more or less 2800) ever at that spot - the longest one last 135 minutes.
Why? - well we couldn't leave the mantas!
So couldn't the photographers taking part at the Mantafest-photo-competition, which for I had the honor - together with Marty Snyderman, Tim Rock and Ray Bullion - to be one of the jury-members.
Other dives were together with grey reefsharks and white-tip-reefsharks - as the came as close to the diver's cameras as the mantas did.

So in the end the winners of the categories "mantas and/or sharks, reef scenic, macro and people/land/culture" got stunning prices.
The "Best of show" winner received the new Mares computer Icon HD net ready, the 1. places won a week at the manta ray bay resort including dives, the 2nd places won Mares X-Stream-fins + mask + snoorkel plus a Henderson shorty, the 3rd places more stuff from Henderson.
Yap_Blog 01.jpgYap_Blog 06.jpg
Even if I cannot partecipate in the contest as a juror - just look at the photos: do I need more reasons to do the same dives again next year? :)
C u,
Frank

I just got back from Yap as well. Manta Ray Bay Hotel and Yap Divers Rock!!! I haven't been to many other places that run so smoothly. Vis got a bit poor with the weather there toward the end of my stay, but the mantas were great and Yap Caverns are so beautiful. Glad to hear that you had a nice trip and yes, Yap is definitely worth those crappy flights to get to.

We're looking into diving in Palau next January, 2013 (10 days there) and someone said that we should go to Yap as well. Since only 2 flights seem to leave from Koror to Yap/week, we either stay in Yap only 2 days or stay about a week. 2 days doesn't sound like enough. Are 6 days there too much? Are there other things to do besides dive there? How is the snorkeling?

Which hotel/dive shop would you go with? Are there dives that don't have a lot of current? Some current dives are OK, but I like non-current dives as well.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom