Yap did NOT blow me away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, that might be more accurate. It's not that it's bad but that it is not good enough by compariosn to other places, Palau, Chuuk/Truk and CERTAINLY not worth the extra travel time or expense.

Tassie_Rohan:
I think the problem with Yap is not that the diving is bad, but that the diving at other islands such as Chuuk/Truk and Palau is outstanding.

Drag Yap so it sits off the coast of Thailand or Singapore and people would be raving about it.

By the way........while I haven't been there yet myself I've heard quite a lot of local people who have described a lot of Palau as quite advanced diving. They use reef hooks.

One young daughter of my Japanese instructor mate came back quite shaken after a trip there and told me she would have much prefered to have gone to the Similans with me (which incidently cost less than half the price for double the number of dives). We regularly hear of accidents there.

Palau isn't a place for beginners as far as I can tell. Yap I have no idea.

Yes, I have heard the same thing, Kim. They do indeed use reef hooks -I have never been to a place that allowed that, or that was necessary,- and there are some very strong currents. Yap is very easy for newer divers and offers some great sightings of manta for experienced divers but reefs are ordinary. Just don't make Yap your only stop because it is not that great, while Truk is, I know, and Palau is, I hear.

Kim:
By the way........while I haven't been there yet myself I've heard quite a lot of local people who have described a lot of Palau as quite advanced diving. They use reef hooks.

One young daughter of my Japanese instructor mate came back quite shaken after a trip there and told me she would have much prefered to have gone to the Similans with me (which incidently cost less than half the price for double the number of dives). We regularly hear of accidents there.

Palau isn't a place for beginners as far as I can tell. Yap I have no idea.

Tassie_Rohan:
Nah - I think he would feel threatened with the influx of Thai and Singaporese women: he’s a betel nut man you know....
go on, bring on the Thai and Singaporean women! i am not afraid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom