Yankee heading south

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi to all of you conch divers first of all. I was trying to plan a trip to Bonaire, Aruba or Cozumel for my first dive getaway but that has been changed. Seeing as I haven't seen my father and his wife in over 5yrs or so, nor been to their house down there. I figured I'd stop in Tampa/Clearwater for a couple of days then hit whatever island destination I had planned. Wrong....after checking flights, times, cost.....its really not worth my while to try and fly outta of Tampa or St Pete to go where I had planned. Or am I missing something?

Anyway, if I'm correct and it not cost effective to spend a couple days then go on I will be changing my plans to spend 2 weeks in Florida. Seeing as its cheap as hell to get there and stay..might as well stay longer...:)

So the question to all of you is staying in the Clearwater area a good idea to do a couple weeks of diving? Seeing as the parent's house is in Clearwater. (And no I'm not staying there..god forbid!!!) I dont know the area at all, it will be my 1st time there. So knowing dive places, charters, places to stay is now overwhelming me. Been reading all of the thread and have gotten alot of good ideas so far.

I might not stay the full 2 weeks in Clearwater as I might opt to hit Key West or the east also but just wanted some input and hopefully would be able to dive with some of you while I'm down there.

About me, well just got my OW cert 2 weeks ago, did 4 quarry dives, last Sunday did 2 Atlantic wreck dives max depth of 70 with 50 degree temps and weak current. Currently doing a Nitrox class on Saturday, ocean night dive is the 16th, and the rest of my AOW course on the 26/27 in Dutch Springs. Hopefully will get more dives in before hand both in the quarry and ocean.

I have most of my own gear, Legend LX ACD reg, Seaquest Balance, Smart Z Hoseless Comp, AquaLung 3mil full, Princeton Tek lights, personal crap (masks, fins, snorkle), knives...etc

Thanks for any input and hope to see you guys in between Sept 6 thru the 20th

-rhyz

RHYZ
Make sure To get a day or two on the Atlantic side from like WPB down to FLL,waters are more clear than the Gulf side! and you got the stuff, just when you pick a dive opp make sure they know its your first boat dive and heck ocean dive, East coast it will be a drift dive, and WOW You will be hooked on diving after you see the Marine life and colors,
Brad

LOL, already hooked on the sport.....all I want to do lately is dive.....but you know that awful 4 letter word. Work

if you've got 2 full weeks, might as well do the whole tour...spend some time with the fam and do some Gulf diving while there....scoot on over to the east coast, West Palm or Lauderdale areas for a couple of days, keep motoring south to the Keys and check out the diving there, and if you really want to push it, plan a couple of spring dives in between...if that sounds like too much, then maybe just pick 2 destinations like Clearwater and the Keys....you have many options here in FL

What are the "must see" dives? I've been reading alot on FLorida diving but there is huge amount of spots to go too. I'd like to see the Spiegel, but probably won't be able to get the whole thing in as its looks deep.

As Matteo says if you can do the drive spend some time and see the mix,
Must see dives= to me every one once should dive a spring dive as Florida has the best in the world! Winter do a dive in Crystal river see the Manatee's! Hit the Southern East coast for a few Drift dives on the world class reefs, see and dive the Keys-some of the Major wrecks may be a bit out of your range but the other reef dives can be fun,do a Gulf side dive for some teeth my last dive reminded me of home 2' vis and by feel but it was a blast and as I am not sure if the dive Opp baited the site but I did find a cool tooth!!!!
All in all I am sure you cant go wrong diving Florida so much to dive- most folks dive Locals- make a plan and once you pick out several area you will be going to, see if you can find some Florida conchs in the area for lodging and dive operators suggestions.
Dive safe
Brad

Thanks, I'll keep researching and checking stuff out. I got some time before I actually get down there so thats good. As for the drving that will kinda hurt seeing as I can't at the moment...:11: Yes I was a bad boy.

rhyz:
Thanks, I'll keep researching and checking stuff out. I got some time before I actually get down there so thats good. As for the drving that will kinda hurt seeing as I can't at the moment...:11: Yes I was a bad boy.

Ouch!
Well mabe you can work some local stuff in and get some one else to do a raod trip to other spots,
Brad

My thinking was grabbing a decent room close to some good dives spots/charters and go from there while in the Clearwater area. Then maybe take a flight down to Key West for a couple days of diving. But it looks like there are some really great spots on the SE side as well. Figure more of it out as it gets closer, jamming for my Nitrox class tomorrow...:D

Drive to LBTS, rent apartment (will pm you the place I stay which is cheap, super clean, has a full kitchen, pool, is a couple of blocks from the Publix, and a block from the beach diving) sort yourself out on the beach dives, take the money you'll save on not eating out (and eating better food) and get a 5 2-tank trip package (tanks included) from Silent World Dive Center in Key Largo for $200.00, do the shallow easy dives first (for boat practice)then deeper dives if you want. Boats around LBTS are about $45 a trip, but you'll have to rent tanks.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom