Yaks, mythical reefs and mountains

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howard4113

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Tim - (kidspot) and I did an interesting dive saturday at the old airport beach. We went in search of the elusive third reef at old airport beach. We took the trusty dive yak out til we were sure that the depth was better 'n 80 fsw and jumped in.
kayak_small.jpg

I bottomed out at 104 feet in sand and turtle grass. No reef :( .Tim motioned that we'd overshot the target (which is supposed to be at 95-100 feet) and gestured for me to swim towards shore. The current suggested that I do otherwise. Although the wind was pushing the yak towards the southwest, the current was running north-northwest. A hundred feet of line dragging in the water wins such battles so I became a submarine sea anchor. We figured the best thing to do was to make this a drift dive - like we had any choice. We both ascended to about 85 feet and sailed along looking for coral but finding none. We gave up after about 20 minutes of flying over the bottom; which had dropped out to probably 130' or so. It was pretty cool flying along but would have been a lot better if we'd had some scenery. Anyway, we did manage to save enough air for a brief visit to the second reef -- after a somewhat tiring paddle back to the beach area. I suppose that the first dive was not a wasted effort after all. In researching the area that we covered, I dug out a chart that I'd used this summer to demonstrate that there is no sea mount off the beach there. It turns out that our path saturday just happened to take us over the exact area of the mythical sea mount. I've included a Google Earth image to illustrate.
9-23-06Kayak_dive.jpg

So if we get back there again, I think we're going to start just a hundred yards or so past the second reef. Maybe we'll find the third reef then. Personally, I'm ready to head more towards McGregor point next time anyway.

Hey Tim - did any of the pix turn out? How about the banded coral shrimp?

M

LOL - great write up Mark ... pics? ... in my narc'd state I think I forgot that I'd taken any ... lemme check ...

oh yeah ... I found one of you "towing" the line ... or being towed ... don't know which at this point. And about that shrimp ... well it had antennae ... and lived in a nice hole ...

I didn't realize we'd also dispelled the mythical mountain theory as well - Good Job Mark!

Now what Mark didn't point out was the reason I wanted to head toward shore (he was being kind) was that I got really narc'd and wanted to ascend to 80 ft. which helped a whole lot ...

You also didn't comment much on the several times I nearly capsized us (hard to do in a Yak' that has double outriggers ya know :wink: )

It was an ... interesting dive wasn't it?

See you for another attempt at third reef ...

Aloha, "Tippy"

shrimp.jpg

current.jpg

looks like it was a fun experience.

Are you tied to the "Yak" in this photo? Or just holding onto the line? (there's a discussion in the main forum, so I was curious)

Well, I guess there is value in all dives, right?

The picture does look as if you are indeed the anchor.

He was just holding the line - but holding on tightly as it was pulling quite hard - When I donned my rig in the water and let go of the line I had to kick quite hard to "keep up" with the yak.

Aloha, Tim

current1.jpg

www.scubamazing.com:
looks like it was a fun experience.

Are you tied to the "Yak" in this photo? Or just holding onto the line? (there's a discussion in the main forum, so I was curious)

I don't see this thread - gotta link?

M

kidspot:
And about that shrimp ... well it had antennae ... and lived in a nice hole ...
You also didn't comment much on the several times I nearly capsized us (hard to do in a Yak' that has double outriggers ya know :wink: )

See you for another attempt at third reef ...

Aloha, "Tippy"

Yea "Tippy" - it's amazing how well the outriggers work. The yak is lots less stable with 'em retracted but it does go faster. The shrimp was a craps shoot. Hoped you had a better angle, but better luck next time. All in all lots of fun. I gotta find another computer now tho now I see that I need a backup - :( Thanks for the BU - didn't realize you had the other set to bottom timer mode. Why? You get time in normal mode too.
Aloha dude,
M

howard4113:
Yea "Tippy" - it's amazing how well the outriggers work. The yak is lots less stable with 'em retracted but it does go faster. The shrimp was a craps shoot. Hoped you had a better angle, but better luck next time. All in all lots of fun. I gotta find another computer now tho now I see that I need a backup - :( Thanks for the BU - didn't realize you had the other set to bottom timer mode. Why? You get time in normal mode too.
Aloha dude,
M

I leave the second on BT mode because it gives a countdown in seconds, which I prefer for doing my ascents with, on shallow or square profiles the multi-level aspect of a computer is not really needed anyway ... and on simple mulit-level profiles like we did I just run an "average" depth [ducking for cover] in my head. It's really just a backup depth gauge and timer (actually the "computer" is my backup that I loan out, the one in BT mode is the gauge I normally use)

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom