XXL Jet fin Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have an unfortunate size 8 in Bare Trek boots wich means I don't fit in to XL jets or XXL Jets. I know there is really no way to stretch out a pair of XL's but my question is has anyone ever done anything to make the XXL foot pocket smaller like adding rubber to the inside of the foot pocket? Any ideas would be appreciated.

CALI68:
I have an unfortunate size 8 in Bare Trek boots wich means I don't fit in to XL jets or XXL Jets. I know there is really no way to stretch out a pair of XL's but my question is has anyone ever done anything to make the XXL foot pocket smaller like adding rubber to the inside of the foot pocket? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Your booted-foot is too LARGE for the XL but not large enough for the XXL? That seems a bit odd.

Green_Manelishi:
Your booted-foot is too LARGE for the XL but not large enough for the XXL? That seems a bit odd.

Tell me about it! The Size 8 Trek boot is too wide/tight for the foot pocket of the XL but it swims in the XXL. I not really sure who did the sizing at Scubapro but that is no XXL more like XXXXL!

By the way great user name...That's a great Judas Priest song.

I am in the same boat...my XL jets are way too small and the XXL jets are too big. I have heard that the IDI Turtles are somewhere int he middle but can't confirm this. Does anyone know? Does anyone have a photo comparing the XL, XXL, and Turtles? Does anyone know anyone in Southern Cal that dives Turtles (or a shop that sells them that will allow me to take a photo)? I will take the and post if if anyone has Turtles (I have both the XL and the XXL jets).
Christopher

scubaxris:
I am in the same boat...my XL jets are way too small and the XXL jets are too big. I have heard that the IDI Turtles are somewhere int he middle but can't confirm this. Does anyone know? Does anyone have a photo comparing the XL, XXL, and Turtles? Does anyone know anyone in Southern Cal that dives Turtles (or a shop that sells them that will allow me to take a photo)? I will take the and post if if anyone has Turtles (I have both the XL and the XXL jets).
Christopher

Yea but here's the next problem...finding Turtles is near impossible right now because IDI is out of busniness and no one is selling them.

CALI68:
Tell me about it! The Size 8 Trek boot is too wide/tight for the foot pocket of the XL but it swims in the XXL. I not really sure who did the sizing at Scubapro but that is no XXL more like XXXXL!
I have the same type of problem in that I have the Scuba Pro athletic boots( never know when a game of basketball may break out) and the XL Jets are too narrow to fit even the front part of my foot in the fin. These fins fit fine over my 3 mill boots but not a chance with the 5 mill boots. I wear a size 10.5 street shoe and would normally wear a wide in a dress shoe. Do I need the 5 mill boots? I do some diving in the Great Lakes and then some local freshwater stuff as well. I was thinking that I could order the XXL and have the added room I need, but it sounds like they may be on the wide side. Are the foot pockets on the Twin Jets wider? They look like they have a better design with a more rounded front edge and the extended sole plate. I could exchange the XL Jet and get the XL Twin Jet instead. I understand that the spring straps are the same for either fin.

Mitten Diver

CALI68:
By the way great user name...That's a great Judas Priest song.

Thanks. JP covered the song ... originally written by Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac. Priest also covers Joan Baez "Diamonds and Rust" on the "Sin After Sin" LP.

Just got my XXL jets today (thanks to Bob3). From the looks of them it is probably not the width but the height of the foot pocket that is really increased. I don't think that there would be any problem getting them off a dry suit boot. They really are a leap in pocket size from the XL's. Best bet to reduce size could be to layer neoprene (glue to create a laminate of desired thickness) and then fasten to the fins. I have large feet but haven't tried them on over my dry suit boots yet. Pocket seems flexible enough to conform as long as straps are tight enough to keep fins snugged. Next step will be a set of spring straps anyway.

yknot:
Just got my XXL jets today (thanks to Bob3). From the looks of them it is probably not the width but the height of the foot pocket that is really increased. I don't think that there would be any problem getting them off a dry suit boot. They really are a leap in pocket size from the XL's. Best bet to reduce size could be to layer neoprene (glue to create a laminate of desired thickness) and then fasten to the fins. I have large feet but haven't tried them on over my dry suit boots yet. Pocket seems flexible enough to conform as long as straps are tight enough to keep fins snugged. Next step will be a set of spring straps anyway.

I wear size 13 and used the rock boot and the problem was the width of the foot pocket, not the height. It wasn't too bad, I can live with it, but I'm thinking of modifying the width. I already put spring straps on them. Just a tad too loose.

Man, I just got my XXL fins in, the foot pockets are huge! The difference from my XL's foot pocket to the XXL's has doubled in height and about an inch wider. Overall length about an inch longer too. Slipped it on with my New Balance shoes and went right on no problem. I wear a size 13-13.5. I am shocked at the size difference in the two. Crazy man

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom