XTAR D35 Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought one a couple of months ago, it is reasonably well made, throws a lot of light but it is clunky to hand hold underwater, so I modified it for umbilical and canister use and mounted it in a goodman handle, Modifying the XTAR D-35 for Cannister Attachment.

This works better than the hand hold version by far, but this modification is not for the faint of heart and a lathe is a necessity. Yesterday I took it down to 40 m and compared it with the new light I just built, SST90 and custom driver and the new light blew it out of the water. So all things considered, I'd say the D-35 is a decent light, but for that price one should be able to do better. I'm taking it cave diving at the end of this month, so we'll see how it works in the caves. On thing though, if you buy it and throw it in your gear bag with batteries installed, be careful the ring switch can easily be turned on by accident and roast everything around it. I leave it disconnected from the battery pack until I am ready to dive. Underwater the switch is great, but the manufacturer should have created some kind of locking mechanism when it is off, to prevent accidental movement of the ring switch.

Alternatively for those less mechanically inclined, like myself a very well made carry handle is available and does make the light much more manageable. Sweet mod though and thanks for sharing.

I bought one a couple of months ago, it is reasonably well made, throws a lot of light but it is clunky to hand hold underwater, so I modified it for umbilical and canister use and mounted it in a goodman handle, Modifying the XTAR D-35 for Cannister Attachment.

This works better than the hand hold version by far, but this modification is not for the faint of heart and a lathe is a necessity. Yesterday I took it down to 40 m and compared it with the new light I just built, SST90 and custom driver and the new light blew it out of the water. So all things considered, I'd say the D-35 is a decent light, but for that price one should be able to do better. I'm taking it cave diving at the end of this month, so we'll see how it works in the caves. On thing though, if you buy it and throw it in your gear bag with batteries installed, be careful the ring switch can easily be turned on by accident and roast everything around it. I leave it disconnected from the battery pack until I am ready to dive. Underwater the switch is great, but the manufacturer should have created some kind of locking mechanism when it is off, to prevent accidental movement of the ring switch.

Alternatively for those less mechanically inclined, like myself a very well made carry handle is available and does make the light much more manageable. Sweet mod though and thanks for sharing.

The XTAR carry handle for the D35 Dive Light is a very nice feature and well worth the upgrade.

D35%20Carry%20Handle.png

D35%20Carry%20Handle2.png

XTAR lights are generally very well made and perform well underwater. The D06 is typically brighter than most primary recreational dive lights and is a great size. The D10 is also impressive with twice the burn time and is well balanced, but is a little long to hold on a dive.

I use a rubber wrist bracelet around the sliding switch to keep it off when clipped to my BP&W harness. Because the torch is metal and the body is a conductor unscrewing the head slightly (to keep it off) causes electrolytic corrosion, pitting and a possible shock when you pick it up. I think the D35 does not do this.

What I'd really like to see is an umbilical torch!

dp

Anyone have experience with this light or have used a dive light made by XTAR? Looks like a good light but, I don't see anywhere to purchase it other than ebay and that makes me a little hesitant.
Its a triple XM-L U2 LED light that uses 3x 18650 cells. Rated at 2350Lm so, it should light up the bottom pretty good.

7981411057_9fc6677676_c.jpg

Great torch for diving. Lousy backup by Xtar and Master Instruments the Australian dealer. Tried to get some replacement emitters and Orings. Not available, none in oz or anywhere for that matter.. Managed to get the emitters through DH Gate. (Cree XML U2.) and source nitrile orings through local and oseas sources . (Not Xtar). great torches, but wont be buying Xtar again. great torch, big money, no backup for spares.

Hey Guys,

I hope this is not out of line, I read through the TOS and did not see anything stated there but I am not yet well educated on the etiquette of this forum. I am an XTAR dealer in Indiana but not a diver. I am looking for one or two well established divers who would be interested in reviewing the D35 and or the D06. The light has been well reviewed by the "ground" crew but I am very interested in the thoughts and feelings of dive community.

Thanks,

Mike
I have three D06 lights one 900 lm and two 1600 lm. I think they're decent compact lights made by a reputable company and can write a review if you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom