Xtar D26 1600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A test result is in.

I tested 4 26650 cells. They all were reported as being 5200 mAh or thereabouts.

I put one of them in my D26 1600 at 9p last night and left the light sitting, turned off. I just checked it (9a - so 12 hours later). I turned the light on and the little LED indicator initially showed green for about 2 or 3 seconds and then switched to red. This seemed to indicate that the battery was below 25% charge.

I took the battery out and checked it with a voltmeter. It showed 4.13V. I tested the other 3 batteries. They all tested between 4.11 and 4.14V or so.

So, I put them all in a different charger (Xtar VP4 Dragon, instead of my Opus). The one that sat in the light overnight immediately showed on the charger as being 93% full and it started charging. Of the other 3, one showed as Full and the other two showed as 93 and 96% full and are charging also.

I'm really not sure what is going on here. Now I'm wondering if the real problem is that the light's circuit for determining battery status is hosed. Is it showing red (to indicate a low battery condition) when the battery is actually fine?

Keep us posted! Meanwhile, it is too bad you don't want to make a quantity buy on these. From Alibaba:
upload_2018-11-6_9-34-13.png

I wonder if the magnet is different, or if it's just a case of cheap magnets and my D26 lights being 1.5 years or more older than the 1600.

That or the battery could be part of the variability??? In any case, this sounds like it would be a good focusing light on my camera housing. That tripod screw base on the bottom is a handy feature. Thanks for your input.

That or the battery could be part of the variability??? In any case, this sounds like it would be a good focusing light on my camera housing. That tripod screw base on the bottom is a handy feature. Thanks for your input.

All testing was done with no battery in the light.

A focus light? Aren't you concerned that, because it doesn't shut off when the camera shutter releases, you'll end up with an ugly hot spot in the middle of your picture? Will you turn the light off manually before snapping a picture?

A focus light? Aren't you concerned that, because it doesn't shut off when the camera shutter releases, you'll end up with an ugly hot spot in the middle of your picture? Will you turn the light off manually before snapping a picture?

I would use it at a lower power setting where the strobes overwhelm the beam. That would probably be the case even at the highest setting. It wouldn't work for available light photography though.

I got email back from Xtar.

I asked if they know about a high self-discharge rate when the light is off. Here is their response:

We pay much attention to the problem you had met on new models D26-1600, and already made improvements on PCB for next mass order.
We are so sorry for this experience on new models, and we will send you spare parts(springs) to fix it , is that ok for you?( if it's ok , i will show you how to fix it with spring)

I replied and said yes, I'll take the spring, but also how can a spring fix it if they are making a new PCB and how would someone buying one in the future know if they are getting the "new" version. They said:

Re to your question:
1. The spring can fix finished product. But if change the software , clients will get better lighting endurance
2. We had stopped selling for over 2 weeks because of making this improvement.
And If someone buy from us in future, he will surely get improved one ;
We will also help our distributors to improve all the stock they have, so if he/she buy from distributors, it should be improved one.

Now I'm just waiting.

I got email back from Xtar.

I asked if they know about a high self-discharge rate when the light is off. Here is their response:

I replied and said yes, I'll take the spring, but also how can a spring fix it if they are making a new PCB and how would someone buying one in the future know if they are getting the "new" version. They said:

Now I'm just waiting.

the spring will fix the light indicator prob.. as its inaccurate now.. so even when it blinks 5% u'll prob have more than 30%

That makes sense. I mean, it has been seeming like the red light was coming on really early, but that the battery was still actually fine.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom